Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

Obtain or renew a Nevada Driver's license, State ID, and vehicle registration.

Schedule an appointment on the DMV website in order to shorten your wait time in line!

Local Office


Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
305 Galletti Drive
Reno, NV 89512
(877) 368-7828

Office Hours

8 am - 5 pm, Mon-Fri
8 am - 4 pm, Sat
Closed, Sun


From North Virginia, turn left onto E. Maple Street and take the I-80 East ramp exit. Bear right onto the ramp to E. 4th Street. Turn right onto E. 4th Street. Turn left onto Galleti Drive and go less than 0.1 mile and the Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety should be in sight.

Driver's License

"Driver Authorization Card"

Nevada residents who cannot meet the proof of identity requirements for a driver's license or ID card may be able to obtain a Driver Authorization Card (DAC).

These cards authorize the holder to drive a motor vehicle on Nevada public streets and highways. A DAC is not valid as identification to obtain any state benefits, licenses or services or for federal purposes such as boarding aircraft or entering facilities where ID is required.

"Nevada Identification Card"

The residency and proof of identity requirements for a Nevada identification card are the same as those for a driver license. You must be a resident of Nevada. The minimum age for an ID card is 10 years.

You cannot hold both an Identification Card and a Driver License, even if they are from different states. Nevada has a seasonal resident ID for those who reside in the state only part of the year.

"Driver's License"

You must provide proof of identity and take all three tests - vision, knowledge and skills - if you have never been licensed in the U.S. or if your prior U.S. license has been expired, suspended or revoked for more than one year.

You must apply for an Instruction Permit first. If granted, you will then be eligible to schedule a driving skills test and obtain a full license.

Written Test Handbook

(3.60 MB, Adobe Acrobat Reader required, approximately 79 pages to print)


What must you bring with you to the DMV as an International Student?

  • Your passport
  • I-94 card
  • Previous licenses or ID's.

How often can the driver's license be renewed?

Your drivers license can be renewed until the end of your status, and they are typically given for four years. You will need to go to the DMV in person to renew your driver's license, but you will not need to take the written and driving tests again. You cannot renew your driver's license on-line.

Can I make an appointment for the written and driving test?

No, you must go to the DMV in person. You can view or download the driver's handbook on-line or you can go to the DMV to get a copy. The written test is given on a "first come, first serve" basis. Once you have completed the written exam, they will schedule you for a driving test.

How much does it cost?

Most original licenses cost $42.25.  A $26 testing fee will be charged prior to the written test and covers both the written test and the initial skills test. A $11 retest fee will apply to all retakes.

Can dependents of international students and scholars get a driver's license or an identification card?

Yes, they should bring: their passport, I-94 card, previous driver's license or other ID. They can receive a driver's license or ID with or without a social security number.

If at any point you are at the DMV and told by the employee that your status is not valid or you are not in the system, and you believe that your status is fine, ask to speak with a supervisor and call our office so an OISS advisor can help direct the DMV employee. 

Please note: if you are applying for something at the DMV and you have just arrived in the U.S., please wait 7-10 days after arrival before going to the DMV office.