Bringing Dependents to the U.S.

Dependents of students and scholars, who wish to come to the U.S., must have their own dependent visas obtained at the U.S. consulate abroad.

Dependents of F-1 students will be applying for F-2 visas based on the I-20 issued by UNR. If you are a current student, please complete the I-20 Request Form and submit the form together with the proof of additional funding to OISS. If you are a prospective student, please indicate that you will be bringing your dependents to UNR, and request the dependent I-20s at the time of admission.

Dependents of J-1 exchange visitors will be applying for J-2 visas based on the DS-2019 form issued by UNR. To obtain a DS-2019 form for dependents, please complete a Request for DS-2019 form and submit to OISS together with the proof of additional funding. Research scholars and faculty coming to UNR should indicate their intention of bringing the family to their departmental contact who will be completing the request form.

Dependents of H-1B specialty occupation worker will be applying for H-4 visas/status . Information about the dependents should be included on the H-1B Employee Forms and submitted to OISS at the time of requesting the H-1B status for the principal. Please follow the instructions listed on the form. If the dependent will be applying for an H-4 visa/status at the later stage, please contact OISS to find out what documents are required.

If the dependent is already in the U.S. in a different status and wishes to change to a dependent status (F-2, J-2, H-4), he/she can do so through a change of status procedure without leaving the U.S. and applying for a visa abroad. For more information please contact OISS.

Adequate financial resources are required to support the dependents in the U.S. These resources should be over and above the funding required for F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor and are calculated at $800.00 per month for a spouse and $350.00 per month for each child. Please keep in mind that bringing the dependents involves additional expenses such as: renting a larger apartment, higher food and medical cost, child care and schooling expenses etc.

For more information about the visa application process, scheduling visa interviews and contacting the consulate nearest you, see the U.S. State Department: Visas website.

Please keep in mind that in order for a spouse to qualify for a dependent visa you must be legally married and provide a proof of your marriage to the consulate.

More information about F-2 family member entry.