Property insurance


  • NSHE is self-insured to $500,000 per occurrence
  • Department deductible is $2,000 per occurrence
  • Excess Insurance: Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) Master Property Program
  • All claims will be evaluated for acceptance based on the MHEC policy terms and conditions. Please contact us for more information.

"All risks" property coverage including flood, earthquake, fine arts and boiler and machinery.

Coverage does not include employee and student personal property.


  • Property insurance coverage outside of the US*
  • Fraudulent or dishonest acts by employees
  • Ordinary wear and tear
  • Normal settling and shrinkage
  • Mysterious disappearance
  • Equipment not protected by Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) and emergency generator circuits

*The NSHE property insurance policy excludes coverage for property while in transit, outside of the US. Transportation coverage should be purchased for any NSHE owned property being shipped via motor, rail, or air carrier outside of the US. Property such as a phone, camera, or laptop that is carried as a personal item in a bag or suitcase does not need transportation coverage. NSHE owned property (including research equipment) used or operated outside of the U.S. while in the care, custody and control of an NSHE employee, is covered under NSHE’s self-insured property insurance retention up to a $50,000.00 limit and would be subject to a $2,000.00 deductible per claim. Please contact your risk management office to discuss insurance options for property valued over $50,000.00.

Inspections and loss prevention

Periodic inspections are performed by outside vendors. Departments are responsible to ensure that fire protection equipment and sprinklers and electrical panels are not blocked or impeded at any time.

Property loss claims information

The department/institution must contact the HR Shared Services Office at (775) 784-4394 immediately in the event of a loss expected to exceed $50,000.

Other property losses should be reported as soon as possible to the BCN HR Shared Services office (contact information below). If the loss is not reported to the HR Shared Services Risk Management Office within 180 days from the date of loss or discovery; the claim may be denied. Once our office is contacted and we receive the Property Loss Report, we will open a claim file and begin the investigation. The department deductible is $2,000. The claim is based on a reimbursement, so the department is responsible for paying the costs of the repairs up-front.

In the event of a theft or vandalism, the Police Department must be notified immediately. Only the police are authorized to conduct an investigation or take action regarding criminal acts such as theft or vandalism. Submit a URM-003 (Property Loss Report) to the HR Shared Services Risk Management Office. There must be visible signs of forced entry; "mysterious disappearance" is not a covered cause of loss.

If you need to make a claim for property damage or loss, please contact the Risk Management Office.

(775) 784-4394