Academic/Administrative Faculty Only.
- Notify your Department Chair and Appropriate Dean.
- This is the time to discuss your anticipated retirement date with your Chair and Dean. By providing adequate notice, you allow the department to prepare for the transition.
- Complete and discuss application to seek Emeritus/Emerita status with your Department Chair, Supervisor, and/or respective Dean/VP.
Emeritus/Emerita status is an honor which may be awarded to full-time faculty and professional staff who retire after distinguished and long-term achievement and service to a NSHE institution.
Guidelines for Appointment to Emeritus Status
As set forth by the University of Nevada, Reno Bylaws.
There shall be an emeritus faculty composed of retired faculty promoted to this rank:
- Any member of the faculty may be considered for the rank of emeritus at retirement in accordance with regular personnel procedures; and/or
- Any member of the faculty retiring after at least ten years of full-time service shall be recommended for emeritus status.
(Title 5, Chapter 7, Section 18)
If you are eligible, you should contact your Dean/VP about making a recommendation for emeritus status to the Provost as early as a year and, if possible, no later than six months prior to your retirement date.
Emeritus status includes, but is not limited to, the following privileges:
- Inclusion in faculty mailing lists
- Invitations to attend appropriate University functions
- Library access