The University of Nevada, Reno complies with the NSHE Records Retention and Disposition Schedule. To assist faculty and staff in meeting the requirements of the NSHE Records Retention and Disposition Schedule, the University of Nevada, Reno is adding a new default folder to faculty and staff email accounts. Your current email folder structure will not be disrupted by this addition. One main folder will be added called "Records Retention"; it will have seven sub-folders. The university encourages use of these folders for records retention, but will not monitor or enforce them.
For more information on what data should be stored in each folder please contact the Records Retention Officer, Darrell Lockhart, at email@example.com.
Records retention email folders
The records retention folders include the following:
- Example: Business related emails from administrators
- Example 1: An email with content or an attachment relating to activity with a bid process such as a question/reply from a bidder
- Example 2: A Scope of Work attached or embedded in the email between a contractor and university employee
- Example 1: An email between a donor and the university concerning details of the donation
- Example 2: An email concerning a lost inventoried piece of equipment
- Example: An email concerning obtaining a patent for a product or process developed by a university researcher
- Example 1: An email between an employee and supervisor or other administrator regarding details of a work related accident
- Example 2: An email between employee and supervisor regarding specific duties and due dates for employee work assignments
- Example 3: An email requesting accommodation for a disability
- Example 1: An email concerning details of an export transaction
- Example 2: An email concerning care of animals in a lab
- Example: Email exchanges regarding a formal hearing, decision, or appeal concerning FERPA
If you have additional technical questions please contact the Office of Information Technology.