As the Study Abroad Office for the University of Nevada, Reno, USAC is Your Gateway to the World®!
Our headquarters are located right here on campus (we are open during construction, so please visit us in the Virginia St Gym for walk-in advising!), but students from any university are welcome to participate on USAC programs. That means that you won't just make friends and connections in your host country, you will also have the opportunity to engage and network with peers from all over the United States while you explore another country and culture together! And because we are your study abroad office, University of Nevada, Reno students like you have access to special resources to help them plan their study abroad experience.
Follow the steps below to make sure you are picking the correct program for your personal and academic goals, and don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions along the way.
Every year over 350 University of Nevada, Reno students study abroad with USAC. With programs in 27 countries and over 50 cities, classes for every major offered in English, and plenty of immersion opportunities, it is easy to find a location that fits into your academic program and meets your personal goals.
Are you a staff or faculty member looking for international opportunities or to teach abroad? Visit the Faculty & Staff International Opportunities page to learn about internationalization programs that are open to you.
Study Abroad Checklist
Each of USAC's 50+ program locations offer a wide variety of courses, immersion opportunities, and extra-curricular activities.
- Already know where you want to study? Then visit the Where Can I Study Abroad page for a full list of program locations.
- Not sure where you want to go but know what types of courses you want to take? Then visit the What Can I Study Abroad page to see your options based on academic discipline.
- Want to study abroad with a specific professor? See which University of Nevada, Reno faculty are teaching abroad in upcoming terms on the Faculty Teaching Abroad page.
The USAC staff is here to help you find a program that is the right fit for you, so make sure to be in touch as you explore your options. The USAC office is located on the first floor of the Virginia St. Gym next to Church Fine Arts (we are open during construction).
- Our Peer Advisors offer walk-in advising and are available Monday thru Friday, 8-5, any day that the university is open.
- If you have narrowed down your options to a location or two, we recommend that you come in for an advising session with one of our knowledgeable Program Advisors. You can schedule an appointment by emailing email@example.com or calling (775) 784-6569. Make sure to include which locations you are interested in so we can pair you with the correct Advisor.
Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to make sure you understand how the courses you take abroad will count toward your degree. You can find your academic advisor by visiting the Academic Advising page and clicking on "Who's My Advisor".
If you are planning to use financial aid while abroad, make sure to take one of the following documents with you to this meeting as these forms require the signature of your academic advisor. Note that these forms will only open correctly if you use Internet Explorer as your browser.
Studying abroad is more affordable than you may think. In fact, USAC offers programs in 10 countries that are comparable to staying at the University of Nevada, Reno for a semester, and award more than $100,000 in scholarships to UNR students each year! Learn about these programs, scholarship opportunities, and tips for financing study abroad on the Financing Study Abroad page.
Using Financial Aid
If you are enrolled in a degree-seeking program at the University of Nevada, Reno and plan to participate in a USAC program during the semester or for an academic year, you may apply for financial aid and be considered for all aid programs except Work-Study! Learn how to apply your financial aid to study abroad by visiting the Study Abroad & Financial Aid page.
You will apply for your USAC program on our general website at usac.unr.edu. After you are accepted, make sure to check your Student Gateway account often for updates, pre-departure information, and the scholarship application.