Ana de Bettencourt-Dias received her ‘licenciatura’ (M.S. equivalent) in Technological Chemistry from the University of Lisbon in 1993, and her ‘Dr. rer. nat.’ (Ph.D. equivalent) in Inorganic Chemistry from the University of Cologne in 1997 with Prof. Thomas Kruck. In her graduate work, she isolated new titanium complexes as single source precursors for the chemical vapor deposition of TiN thin layers. She joined the group of Prof. Alan Balch at UC Davis in 1998 as a Gulbenkian postdoctoral fellow, where she studied the electrochemistry and structure of fullerenes and endohedral fullerenes.
In 2001 she joined the faculty at Syracuse University and started her work on luminescent lanthanide ion complexes. She moved to the University of Nevada, Reno as associate professor in 2007 and was promoted to professor in 2013. Her research centers on light-emitting compounds and coordination chemistry of the f block of the periodic table. She has published over 80 peer-reviewed manuscripts, several book chapters and invited editorials and edited two books in lanthanide photophysics. Her work has been funded by the Department of Energy, the National Science Foundation, the Petroleum Research Fund, the Department of Agriculture, the Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technologic Development, and the Research Foundation of the State of São Paulo.
She served on the editorial advisory board for Inorganic Chemistry from 2013 to 2015, has been on the editorial advisory board for Comments on Inorganic Chemistry since 2016, is a managing member of the editorial board of the Journal of Rare Earths since 2014 and an associate editor for Inorganics since 2022. She has given over 200 oral presentations and was plenary or keynote speaker at several international conferences. She was program chair of the 2011 and conference chair of the 2014 Rare Earth Research Conference, organized the lanthanides and actinides symposia at the national meetings of the American Chemical Society, was the 2019 Chair of the Division of Inorganic Chemistry of the American Chemical Society and is co-program chair for the Division since 2022. She served as the Associate Vice President for Research at the University from 2015 to 2019. She returned to being a full-time faculty in July 2019, and is now the Susan Magee & Gary Clemons Professor of Chemistry. She received the 2006 Science & Technology Award of the Technology Alliance of Central New York, is a 2021 Fellow of the American Chemical Society and a 2022 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. She has also been named a Foundation Professor and received the 2023 Outstanding Researcher Award from the University.
About the Susan Magee and Gary Clemons Professorship
Mackay School of Mines graduate Gary Clemons '81 (earth science) and his wife, Susan Magee Clemons, established two endowed professorships in chemistry and physics to recognize professors who spark students' curiosity and creativity and motivate them to pursue careers in the fields of chemistry and physics. Established: 2012. (College of Science)
- Lanthanides coordination chemistry
- Lanthanides photophysics
- Luminescent compounds
- Singlet oxygen photosensitizers
- Licenciatura (M.Sc.) in Technological Chemistry, University of Lisbon, Portugal (1993)
- Dr. rer. nat. (Ph.D.) in Inorganic Chemistry, University of Cologne, Germany (1997)
- 2023, Outstanding Researcher Award, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2022, Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2022, Foundation Professor, University of Nevada, Reno
- 2021, Fellow of the American Chemical Society
- 2006, Science & Technology Award of the Technology Alliance of Central New York
- 1999-2001, Gulbenkian Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
- 1992, ERASMUS Fellow
- 1991, JNICT Young Investigator
- Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Fetto, N.R., Tucker, M.J., Sigoli, F.A., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2022). Carbazole-functionalized Dipicolinato LnIII Complexes Show Two-Photon Excitation and Viscosity-Sensitive Emission. Journal of Luminescence 245, 118768.
- Rodrigues, C.V.S., Johnson, K.R., Sobrinho, J.A., Lombardi, V.C., Rodrigues, M.O., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2021). Photocytotoxicity of Thiophene- and Bithiophene-Dipicolinato Luminescent Lanthanide Complexes. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 64, 7724-7734.
- Kaliakin, D.S., Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Sobrinho, J.A., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., and Cantu, D. (2021). Solution Structure of a Europium-Nicotianamine Complex Supports That Phytosiderophores Bind Lanthanides. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 23, 4287-4299.
- Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Hiti, E.A., Hardy, E.E., Wilkinson, G.R., Gorden, J.D., Gorden, A.E.V., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2021). New Up-Conversion Luminescence in Molecular Cyano-substituted Naphthylsalophen Lanthanide(III) Complexes. Chemical Communications 57, 2551-2554.
- Farley, M., Livera, M.M.V.S., Chen, W., Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Schmitt, A., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Roberts, S., and Zheng, Z. (2021). Metal-organic Frameworks of Lanthanide Iminodiacetates and Tartrates: Synthesis, Structural Characterization and Luminescence Properties. Journal of the Rare Earths 39, 487-494. Awarded cover.
- Johnson, K.R. and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2021). Azido- and amino-substituted dipicolinates for the sensitization of the luminescent lanthanides EuIII and TbIII. Inorganica Chimica Acta 514, 120003.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Rossini, J.S.K., and Sobrinho, J.A. (2020). Effect of the aromatic substituent on the para-position of pyridine-bis (oxazoline) sensitizers on the emission efficiency of their Eu(III) and Tb(III) complexes. Dalton Transactions 49, 17699-17708.
- Zavaleta, A., Lykhin, A.O., Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Uchida, S., Bell, T.W., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Varganov, S.A., and Gallucci, J. (2020). Full Visible Spectrum and White Light Emission with a Single, Input-Tunable Organic Fluorophore. Journal of the American Chemical Society 142, 20306-20312.
- Kotyk, C.; Weber, J., Hyre, A., McNeely, J., Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Domin, M.; Balaich, G., Rheingold, A., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., and Doerrer, L. (2020). Luminescence of Lanthanide Complexes with Perfluorinated Alkoxide Ligands. Inorganic Chemistry 59, 9807-9823.
- Johnson, K.R., Vittardi, S.B., Gracia-Nava, M.A., Rack, J.J., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2020). Luminescent Lanthanide Complexes with a Pyridine-bis (Carboxamide)-Bithiophene Sensitizer Showing Wavelength-Dependent Singlet Oxygen Generation. Dalton Transactions 49, 6661-6667.
- Johnson, K.R., Lombardi, V.C., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2020). Photocytotoxicity of Oligothienyl-functionalized Chelates that Sensitize LnIII Luminescence and Generate 1O2. Chemistry – A European Journal 26, 12060-12066. Designated as a Hot Paper.
- Johnson, K.R., Gracia-Nava, M.A., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2020). Thiophene-derivatized pyridine-biscarboxamide as a sensitizer for LnIII luminescence and 1O2 generation. Journal of Luminescence 224, 117309.
- Johnson, K.R., Vittardi, S.B., Gracia-Nava, M.A., Rack, J.J., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2020). Wavelength-dependent singlet oxygen generation in luminescent lanthanide complexes with a pyridine-bis(carboxamide)-terthiophene sensitizer. Chemistry – A European Journal 26, 7274-7280. Designated as Hot Paper.
- Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Fetto, N.R., Tucker, M.J., Sigoli, F.A., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2020). Luminescent carbazole-based EuIII and YbIII complexes with high two-photon absorption cross-section and viscosity-sensing with one- and two-photon luminescence. Inorganic Chemistry 59, 3193-3199.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Beeler, R.M., and Zimmerman, J.R. (2020). Secondary Sphere Chloro-LnIII Complexes with a 1,3,5-Triazine-based Ligand Supported by Anion-pi, pi-pi and Hydrogen-bonding Interactions. Inorganic Chemistry 59, 151-160. Special issue on Innovative f-Element Chelating Strategies, awarded supplementary cover.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Beeler, R.M., and Zimmerman, J.R. (2019). Anion-pi, pi-pi and H-Bonding Interactions Supporting Encapsulation of [Ln(NO3)6/5]3-/2- (Ln=Nd,Er) with a Triazine-based Ligand. Journal of the American Chemical Society 141, 15102-15110.
- Johnson, K.R. and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2019). 1O2 Generating Luminescent Lanthanide Complexes with 1,8-Naphthalimide-based Sensitizers. Inorganic Chemistry 58, 13471-13480.
- Yang, W., Monteiro, J.H.S.K., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., Catalano, V.J., and Chalifoux, W.A. (2019). Synthesis, Structure, Photophysical Properties, and Photostability of Benzodipyrenes. Chemistry – A European Journal 25, 1441-1445.
- Monteiro, J.H.S.K, Dutra, J.D.L., Freire, R.O., Formiga, A.L.B., Mazali, I.O., de Bettencourt-Dias, A., and Sigoli, F.A. (2018). Estimating the individual spectroscopic properties of three unique EuIII sites in a coordination polymer. Inorganic Chemistry 57, 15421-15429.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A. and Tigaa, R.A. (2018). Sensitization of near-infrared LnIII [Ln = Yb or Nd] ions using water-soluble, band gap tuneable 3-MPA-capped CdS nanoparticles. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 6, 2814-2821.
- Monteiro, J.H.S.K., Sigoli, F.A., and de Bettencourt-Dias, A. (2018). A Water-soluble TbIII Complex as Temperature-sensitive Luminescent Probe. Canadian Journal of Chemistry 96, 859-864. Invited contribution for special issue of the Electron Donor-Acceptor Interactions Gordon Research Conference.