- Licenciatura (1993), University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Dr. rer. nat. (1997), magna cum laude, University of Cologne, Germany (Thomas Kruck)
- Gulbenkian Postdoctoral Fellow (1998-2001), University of California, Davis (Alan L. Balch)
The luminescence of lanthanide ions has applications from display applications to bioimaging and sensing. The emission of light by these ions arises from f-f transitions, which are forbidden by selection rules. To achieve efficient light emission ligands are utilized, which absorb energy and transfer this energy through a sequence of steps to the coordinated lanthanide ion.
Our group is interested in developing new ligands for highly emissive lanthanide ion complexes. We synthesize the ligands and the metal complexes and then characterize with different spectroscopic methods, such as single crystal X-ray diffraction, and absorption, excitation and emission spectroscopy. The ligands targeted in our group are organic or transition metal complexes. Emission is pursued for several different lanthanide ions, with emission in the visible or the near-infrared region of the electromagnetic spectrum.
Students in our group learn the principles of organic synthesis and molecular design, as well as the synthesis of metal complexes and isolation of X-ray quality single crystals. Further, they have the opportunity to learn X-ray single crystal diffraction, as well as vibrational, absorption, excitation, emission and NMR spectroscopy.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Bauer, S.; Viswanathan, S.; Maull, B.C.; Ako, A.M. Unusual nitro-coordination of Eu(III) and Tb(III) with pyridinyl ligands. Dalton Transactions 2012, 41, 11212-11218.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Barber, P.S.; Bauer, S. A water-soluble pybox derivative and its highly luminescent lanthanide ion complexes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2012, 134, 6987-6994.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Zimmerman, J.R. New k1,k1-benzoato-bridged complexes of Eu(III) and Tb(III) with a triazine-benzamide ligand. Main Group Chem. 2012, 11, 31-44.
- Knope, K.E.; de Lill, D.T.; Rowland, C.E.; Cantos, P.M.; de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Cahill, C.L. Uranyl sensitization of samarium(III) luminescence in a two-dimensional coordination polymer. Inorg. Chem. 2012, 51, 201-206.
- Zimmerman, J.R.; de Bettencourt-Dias, A. Homobinuclear sulfato-bridged and mononuclear nitrato complexes of Cu(II) with thiophen-2-yl-dipicolylamine: Structure and anion-dependent absorption spectra. Inorg. Chem. Comm. 2011, 14, 753-758.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Barber, P.S.; Viswanathan, S.; de Lill, D.T.; Rollett, A.; Ling, G.; Altun, S. Para-derivatized Pybox ligands as sensitizers in highly luminescent Ln(III) complexes. Inorg. Chem. 2010, 49, 8848-8861.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Barber, P.S. An oxazoline derivatized Pybox ligand for Eu(III) and Tb(III) sensitization. C. R. Chim. 2010, 13, 691-699.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Viswanathan, S.; Rollett, A. Thiophene-derivatized Pybox and its highly luminescent lanthanide ion complexes. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2007, 129, 15436-15437.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A. Lanthanide-based emitting materials in light-emitting diodes. Dalton Trans. 2007, 2229-2241.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A. Small molecule luminescent lanthanide ion complexes - Photophysical characterization and recent developments. Curr. Org. Chem. 2007, 11, 1460-1480.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Poloukhtine, A. Phenylthiophene-dipicolinic acid-based with strong solution blue and solid state green emission. J. Phys. Chem. B 2006, 110, 25638-25645.
- Viswanathan, S.; de Bettencourt-Dias, A. Eu(III) and Tb(III) luminescence sensitized by thiophenyl-derivatized nitrobenzoato antennas. Inorg. Chem. 2006, 45, 10138-10146.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Viswanathan, S. Nitro-functionalization and quantum yield of Eu(III) and Tb(III) benzoic acid complexes. Dalton Trans. 2006, 4093-4103.
- Viswanathan, S.; de Bettencourt-Dias, A. 2-Chloro-5-nitrobenzoato complexes of Eu(III) and Tb(III) - A 1 D coordination polymer and enhanced solution luminescence. Inorg. Chem. Comm. 2006, 9, 444-448.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Viswanathan, S.; Ruddy, K. Intermolecular forces and functional group effects in the packing structure of thiophene derivatives. Cryst. Growth Des. 2005, 5, 1477-1484.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A. New isophthalato-based 2D coordination polymers of Eu(III), Gd(III), and Tb(III) - Enhancement of the terbium-centered luminescence through thiophene derivatization. Inorg. Chem. 2005, 44, 2734-2741.
- de Bettencourt-Dias, A.; Viswanathan, S. Luminescent nitrobenzoato complexes of Ln3+: First examples of sensitization of green and red emission. Chem. Commun. 2004, 8, 1024-1025.