Skip Site Navigation
365 Learning

365 Learning

State Authorization for Distance Education

The U.S. Department of Education requires all institutions offering distance education to be authorized in the states in which it operates. As stated in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR):

If an institution is offering postsecondary education through distance or correspondence education to students in a State in which it is not physically located or in which it is otherwise subject to State jurisdiction as determined by the State, the institution must meet any State requirements for it to be legally offering postsecondary distance or correspondence education in that State. An institution must be able to document to the Secretary the State’s approval upon request. (34 CFR § 600.9[c])

This means that the university must acquire approval from any state where students reside and take University of Nevada, Reno online courses or other experiences such as externships and student teaching. This is an ongoing and lengthy process, and we are working diligently to acquire those authorizations.

For students who reside in other states, it is their responsibility to evaluate the applicability of University of Nevada, Reno courses to their local licensure requirements.

Because authorization has not been received in all states, students participating in any educational activity outside the state of Nevada should contact 365 Learning before making a commitment to the activity. Our office can be reached in the following ways:

Phone: (775) 784-4652 or 1-800-233-8928 
Fax: (775) 784-1280
Email: 365@unr.edu

The complaint agency and contact for the State of Nevada is:

David Perlman, Nevada Commission on Postsecondary Education
Phone: (702) 486-7330
Email: dperlman@cpe.state.nv.us