J-2 Work Permission

J-2 dependents are eligible to apply for work authorization to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The approval process takes anywhere from two to four months and as a result the applicant will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) card. How long the card is valid depends on the program end date listed on the DS-2019 form.

You are able to begin employment once you receive your EAD card and the start date is effective. This type of employment authorization allows you to work full-time or part-time for any type of employer. You can change employers without having to notify immigration services or OISS. To renew your card, you should apply for an extension at least 3 to 4 months prior to the expiration date listed on your current document.

In order for you to be employed you must also have a Social Security number. To apply for a Social Security card, please go to the Social Security Administration office located at 1170 Harvard Way in Reno. Please bring your passport, visa, I-94, DS-2019 and EAD card. If you have obtained your J-2 status through the change of status procedures, then you should bring the I-797  approval notice from USCIS.

How to Apply

See Form I-765 on the USCIS website for access to the application and instructions. Please read Form I-765 instructions and questions carefully

Please feel free to ask for assistance at OISS if you want us to review your application before you submit it.