J-1 Program Provisions

Limitations of Stay for various categories

Maximum program duration for Professors and Research Scholars is 5 years, for Short-term Scholars is 6 months, and for Specialists is 12 months.

Program Extension

If you need additional time to complete your research or teaching, subject to time limitations of your category, please apply for program extension at least one month prior to the expiration date of your DS-2019 form. To apply for extension, you must submit a Request for DS-2019 form signed by the Department Chairperson and your faculty supervisor and indicate your financial support for the requested period.

Change of Category

Once you have entered the country in a specific category, i.e. short-term scholar, you cannot change to another category, i.e. professor/research scholar or student within the U.S. You would need to leave the U.S. and re-enter with a DS-2019 form issued specifically for a new program.

Grace Period

Upon termination of your program you may remain in this country for up to 30 days but you cannot work during the grace period.

Early Completion

Notify OISS if you decide to complete your activity early, before the expiration date on your DS-2019 form.

12 and 24 months bars

These provisions only apply to Research Scholar/Professor category.

12 months bar

Applies to the exchange visitor who was in the U.S. in the preceding 12 months as a J-1 student, or as a J-2 dependent. He/she is not eligible to begin a new program in a research scholar/ professor category until 12 months is completed. For example, someone who was in the U.S. as a J-1 student from January 2010 to December 2012, would need to wait till January 2014 before being eligible to return to the U.S. as a J-1 research scholar/ professor.

24 months bar

Applies in situations when someone who came as a Research Scholar/Professor to U.S. would like to return in the same category as Research Scholar/Professor. He/she would need to wait 24 months before being able to do so.

As mentioned above these 12/24 months bars apply only to Research Scholar/Professor category; the person subject to bar could still return as a J-1 Short-term Scholar or J-1 Specialist or in other visa category such as H-1B, or B-1/B-2.

Program Transfer

Transfer to another university may be possible if it's agreed upon between sponsors and meets certain conditions such as time limitations and category restrictions. Transfer must be approved and coordinated prior to the exchange visitor moving on to another institution. Please talk to the OISS if you are considering to transfer to another school.


You are authorized to work for UNR only. Under certain conditions you may be paid an honorarium for occasional lecture, short term consultation, research done at another institution or conference expense, provided you have obtained an approval from UNR ahead of time. Please contact OISS prior to accepting such offer to find out what you need to do to secure such approval.

2-year Home Residency Requirement

Some exchange visitors are subject to section 212(e) which requires them to return to their home country for two years upon completion of their program. In some circumstances it is possible to obtain a waiver from this requirement.


Spouses and children of J-1 visitor are eligible for J-2 status. If you would like your dependents to come to the U.S. , please contact OISS about obtaining DS-2019 forms for your family members. J-2 dependents are eligible to work in the U.S. after securing permission from the Department of Homeland Security. Information about how to apply for work authorization by J-2 dependents is available at the OISS website. J-2 holders are allowed to study either full-time or part-time without changing to student status (F-1 or J-1).

Maintenance of Status

To remain legally in the U.S. you need to meet the following conditions

  • Maintain valid DS-2019 form. Please pay attention to the program end date listed in point 3. Apply for program extension one month prior to the expiration date of your DS-2019 form if you need additional time to complete your research or teaching.
  • Keep your passport valid.
  • Maintain health insurance for yourself and dependents throughout the program.
  • Conduct activities consistent with your program category. Employment is allowed at the University of Nevada only. Please discuss with OISS if you are considering any other options.
  • Report address changes to OISS within 10 days of the move.