Health Insurance Requirements
J-1 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance throughout the period of stay in the U.S., for themselves and all J-2 dependents that accompany the J- 1. Failure to maintain such health insurance while in the United States will be considered a violation of J-1 status and may lead to termination of the J-1's legal status. The coverage outlined below has been defined by U.S. federal regulations:
Required Coverage for all J-1 visa holders and their J-2 Dependents should meet the minimum requirements outlined below:
|Repatriation of remains||$25,000|
|Deductible per accident or illness||$500|
- Includes provision for co-payment that does not exceed 25% co-pay by the Exchange Visitor;
- Does not exclude benefits for perils inherent to the activities of the Exchange Visitor's program.
Any policy, plan, or contract secured to fill the above requirements must, at a minimum, be:
- Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of ''A-'' or above, an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of ''A-i'' or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of ''A-'' or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify; or
- Backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country; or
- Part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
- Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Self-funded scholars, or those employed by the University without health insurance benefits, should purchase the insurance prior to coming to U.S. We strongly recommend that all J visitors purchase a short-term travelers insurance to cover at least the first month in U.S. Even if health insurance is offered as part of the benefit package, the coverage may not begin immediately.
Health Insurance Options
- Travelers Insurance purchased in the home country which covers the above requirements.
- Health Insurance plan purchased from the following providers:
- VIP Compass Voyager: 1-800-244-1180
- Compass Benefit Group: 1-800-767-0169
- HTH Worldwide Insurance Services: 1-888-243-2358
- United Chinese Plan, United Healthcare (Scholars from China only): New York Service Center for Chinese Study Fellows
J-1 scholars receiving University of Nevada health insurance are required to buy an additional coverage for Medical Evacuation and Repatriation to their home country. This insurance can be purchased from the following providers:
- A Scholastic Plan offered by BETINS K & K CONSULTING SERVICES: 1-253-238-6374
- Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Benefit Plan offered by the Harbour Group: 1-800-252-8160
- Visitor USA Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Program offered by International SOS: 1-215-942-8000