Please make sure to enroll in classes and pay your tuition by the end of the day on the Friday before classes begin to avoid late fees. If you enroll in any classes after that Friday, pay the same day to avoid late fees. Immigration full-time enrollment requirements are as follows:
- Undergraduate students - 12 credits;
- Graduate students - 9 credits;
- Graduate students with an assistantship - 6 credits.
PLEASE NOTE: Up to 3 credits of online/distance education classes will count toward your FT enrollment. You may take more than 3 credits of online/distance education classes but only 3 credits will count toward the FT requirements. For example, if you are enrolled in 15 credits as an undergraduate student, 9 of those credits should not be online/distance education. A course is considered "online" or "distance education" if it does not require a student's physical attendance in a classroom for classes, exams or "other purposes integral to completion of the class." These courses include those offered "principally through the use of television, audio, or computer transmission, including open broadcast, closed circuit, cable, microwave, satellite, audio conferencing, or computer conferencing."
You must maintain full-time enrollment for the whole semester or have OISS authorization to be enrolled less than full-time by submitting the Reduced Course Load (RCL) form.
- If you are not on post-completion OPT and will not be enrolled full-time, even if you are graduating at the end of that semester, you should get authorization from OISS first. You must apply for graduation in MyNEVADA before submitting the RCL form.
- If you have an assistantship, Graduate School requires you to be enrolled in at least 6 credits to maintain your assistantship. You cannot drop below 9 credits without an approved RCL form.
- Students with less than full-time enrollment remaining to complete their degree requirements may still receive their University scholarships in their final term as long as they are enrolled for a minimum of 6 University credits, have applied for graduation prior to the end of add/drop (application for graduation prior to the start of the term is highly encouraged), and meet all the scholarship requirements. Go to the Scholarships - Satisfactory Academic Progress for more information.
Please submit the completed Reduced Course Load form and supporting documents by noon on the last day to add classes without instructor approval, in case you have to add classes if we do not approve your reduced course load. Check the General Catalog Academic Calendar for the date. You do not need to submit the Reduced Course Load form if you will be on post-completion OPT during the semester.
Enrolling less than full-time without OISS authorization will affect your immigration status and could lead to your SEVIS record being terminated. If there are any circumstances that affect your full-time enrollment that you would like to discuss with an OISS advisor, please call the office at 775-784-6874 to schedule an appointment.