Staying in Status
How Do I Stay in Status
- Enroll full-time in a minimum of 12 (undergraduate), 9 (graduate), or 6 (graduate with assistantship) credits each semester. If you plan to enroll in fewer credits due to special circumstances, you must first come to OISS to apply for a reduced course load. Classes that are audited are not included in the full-time credits necessary to satisfy U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requirements.
- Only 3 credits of online classes will count toward full-time enrollment.
- Graduate School requires graduate students to be enrolled in at least 3 graduate credits to maintain their graduate student standing.
- Keep your I-20 up to date
- Inform OISS and Admissions and Records each time your address and phone number changes within 10 days of the change.
For additional information about changing your address and phone number, visit Admissions and Records. To notify OISS of an address or phone number change, please email us at email@example.com
- Purchase University health insurance each semester.
More information about health care and insurance, please refer to our health page.
- File a tax return yearly. OISS offers workshops and labs in March and April to help you complete the forms. For more information about taxes, please refer to our tax page.
Every semester, OISS completes an audit of international student records and contacts them if necessary. However, it is the student's responsibility to notify OISS as soon as they "fall out of status."