Program Extension

Extension of a Program of Study

A student must apply for an extension of a program of study if s/he is unable to complete his/her study within the established time limit, 8 CFR 214.2(f)(7)(iii). The established time limit is the program end date in the "Program of Study" section of the I-20. We recommend that you apply for the extension at least 30 days before the program completion date. Meet with an OISS advisor to discuss your options if your program completion date has passed; you are NOT eligible for a program extension.

Extension beyond the authorized period is possible only under the following reasons:

  • Change of major
  • Change in research topic
  • Unexpected research problems
  • Documented medical reasons
  • Other reasons may be accepted on a case by case basis


  • Student must be in valid status and making normal progress towards completing his/her program objective
  • Reasons for program extension: change of major, unexpected research problems or change in research topic, medical issues
  • Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extension

Application Procedures

To apply for an extension of a program of study, an F-1 student must do the following:

  1. Meet with your academic advisor and obtain your academic advisor's recommendation for Program Extension.
  2. Submit copies or original financial support documentation issued within the last 6 months certifying the availability of funding for the requested period of extension. Contact OISS for amount of funding required.
    • Submit a Financial Data Form along with the financial documentation if the funding is from a source other than yourself.
  3. Schedule an appointment with an OISS advisor and bring the recommendation form and financial documentation.
  4. The OISS advisor will review the documentation and if approved, issue a new I-20 with a new program completion date.

Note: If you work on-campus, you must notify your employer of your new program end date to update your employment information.