F-2 Dependents

F-2 Family Member Entry to the U.S.

A student in F-1 status who would like to bring his/her spouse and/or unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) to the United States, may ask for a new Form I-20 from OISS. To request an F-2 I-20:

  1. Complete the request for Student I-20/DS-2019 Request Form giving the names and birth dates of spouse and dependent children, and provide evidence of financial support (for example, bank statement or letter from a UNR department).
    • Submit a copy of the bio page of each dependent's passport.
    • A student must show financial support to cover them and their dependent(s). Check with OISS for the amount required for the student:
      • $7,000 for the spouse and $3,000 for each child.
      • If funds will not be from student, sponsor must submit a Financial Data Form and upload the financial documents with the form.
  2. Once all the required documents are received by OISS, OISS will issue new I-20s for the student and the dependent(s).
    • The student must endorse all the new Form I-20s at the bottom of the first page before mailing the original for the dependent(s) to his/her dependent(s). The student should mail the following items to the dependent(s):
      • Original new Form I-20 (all pages) for dependent(s)
      • Copy of first and second pages of student's I-20
      • Evidence of financial support to match amount shown on I-20.

The student should instruct his/her dependent(s) to take these documents to the nearest U.S. consular office or embassy to apply for F-2 visa(s). The U.S. embassy or consulate may not issue a visa unless it is satisfied that the dependent has a residence in a foreign country to which s/he plans to return and has no intention of abandoning.

  • Dependents do not pay the SEVIS fee.

OISS will need 2 to 4 working days to process this request.

NOTE: Dependents in F-2 status are not allowed to accept employment in the United States. F-1 students must be sure that they have adequate funds to support themselves and their dependents before bringing them to the United States.