Check-In Meeting

If you did not pass both the OISS Mandatory Pre-Enrollment Training assessments, you must attend a Check-In meeting upon your arrival to Nevada.

To be cleared for class registration, all the holds on your MyNEVADA account have to be removed. The Enrollment Hold - OISS can be removed by OISS after you complete the following pre-enrollment procedures.

All new international F-1 or J-1 students who did not pass both the OISS Mandatory Pre-Enrollment Training assessments must attend a Check-In meeting (approximately 1 1/2 hours) upon arrival in Reno in order to be cleared for class registration. Please schedule a Check-In meeting at the Office of International Students and Scholars located in the Fitzgerald Student Service Building, Room 120 before you arrive at the University by emailing OISS at Check-In meetings will be offered starting 2 weeks before the beginning of each semester on Tuesdays and Thursdays. It is necessary to attend a Check-In meeting, even if you are transferring from another U.S. institution or have been in Reno for some time on another visa status. These meetings offer a great deal of information about maintaining your immigration status, class registration, health insurance, the city of Reno, etc. International students who will be studying on other types of visas, such as J-2 or H-4, are also welcome to attend the second part of the meeting to receive more information about the University and city at large. Students must bring all immigration documents to these meetings (passport, visa, Form I-20 or DS-2019, Form I-94).

After your OISS Check-In meeting, you will be required to obtain signatures from the following departments on the Pre-Enrollment Approval Form:

  • Intensive English Language Center (IELC) to register for the English bridge placement test. All new international students must take the Bridge English Placement Test to determine if English as a Second Language course work is needed during their first semester at the University. Students unable to attend the scheduled Bridge Tests, may arrange for a personally more convenient time for a $150 fee. Failure to complete the Bridge Test requirement may result in a hold being placed on the student's account. The Bridge Test measures skills in academic reading, listening, writing and speaking. It is scored within 24 hours by the IELC faculty and students are given a result sheet indicating their scores. The results of the test will also be forwarded to the students' academic advisor. Students are automatically enrolled in required Bridge English courses by IELC based on their test results. Students take Bridge classes concurrently with academic classes during their first semester at the University to strengthen their English skills. All Bridge classes are 3 credits each and are graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory. These credits are counted towards your full time enrollment. In addition, undergraduates can have up to 6 credits count towards electives. Students are exempt from taking the Bridge Test if they meet one of the following conditions (be prepared to show evidence of this when you check in at OISS):

    • TOEFL score of 100 (internet-Based Test), 600 (Paper-Based Test) or higher
    • IELTS score of 8.5 or higher
    • Pearson Test of English (PTE) Academic with an equivalency score of 85.
    • Degree from an American university or college
    • Transfer of English 101, 102, or the equivalent from an American institution
    • TOEFL requirement waived for university admission for students coming from English speaking countries: Australia, Bahamas, Belize, British Guyana, Canada (except for Quebec), Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, St. Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago, and United Kingdom.
  • University Student Health Center. Students are required to provide the official immunization documentation of two doses of measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) and an immunization within the last 10 years for tetanus/ diphtheria (TD, Tdap) before registering for classes. If you were born before 1957, you are exempt from the MMR requirement. Any freshman college student under the age of 23 intending to live on campus must be vaccinated against Neisseria meningitis (Meningococcus) unless excused because of medical or religious reasons. Immunizations are not covered by your Student Health Fee. MMR is $52.00, Tdap is $38.00, and meningitis is $95. For more information, please refer to the University Health Center website.
  • Academic Advisor in your department to discuss your course schedule. If you do not have an assigned advisor or do not know who to contact, undergraduate students may find a list of advisors in your department at Contacting a Departmental Advisor. Graduate students may get departmental contact information at Programs at a Glance. It is important that you build a coherent program of study with an advisor who knows about your academic options and regulations.

    TRANSFER CREDITS: Upon arrival to Nevada, undergraduate students can check the core transfer courses recognized by the University at the initial admission point on MyNEVADA. To see the transferred courses, go to Student Center Dashboard on MyNEVADA, and open Academic Requirement from the dropdown menu under Academics. You may also go to the Transfer Credit: Report in the same dropdown menu. You will then need to contact the department of your major to see how they will utilize your transferable credits. You should submit your official college/university transcripts with course descriptions and course outlines (syllabi) for the purpose of course evaluations. The department may also elect to use some of the courses that were not initially accepted as well.

    After you have received signatures verifying completion of these steps, you will need to submit the Pre-Enrollment Approval Form with all signatures to the OISS to have the Enrollment Hold-OISS and Enrollment Hold-Immunization removed.
  • After all enrollment holds are removed from your MyNEVADA account, you may register for at least 12 credits (as an undergraduate student), 9 credits (as a graduate student), and 6 credits (as a graduate/research/teaching assistant) to maintain full-time student status; generally classes are 3 credits. Undergraduate students who intend to take mathematics courses must take an Accuplacer test. Those with ACT or SAT scores and transfer students with transferred academic math courses do not have to take the test.