Form I-20/DS-2019 Issuance

OISS will provide you with a Form I-20/DS-2019 to present to the consular officer when you attend your visa interview. A Form I-20 is required to apply for a F-1 visa; a Form DS-2019 is required to apply for a J-1 visa.

To be issued a Form I-20/DS-2019, please submit all the documents listed below:

  • A copy of your passport biographical page
  • Financial documents of a liquid fund showing a minimum of $34,300 - must be dated within the previous 12 months of application submission and may come from any dependable source, including your personal funds, funds from your family/friend, graduate assistantship, scholarships, etc. Bank statements should be on bank letterhead
  • Financial Data Form - ONLY if you submit financial documents from a sponsor - family, relative, friend, etc.
  • Transfer Verification Form - ONLY if you are already in the U.S. on a F-1 or J-1 visa
  • Shipping Request Form 

If you wish to bring your dependents while you study in the Unites States, they must obtain individual Form I-20s/DS-2019s. To obtain the documents, please submit the following:

  • Additional financial documents in the amount of $7,000 for your spouse and $3,000 for each child
  • A copy of your dependents passport(s) biographical page
  • The following information about your dependents:
    • First and last name
    • Date of birth
    • City and country of birth
    • Relationship to applicant

If your dependents were born in the U.S., they do not need to apply for a visa, they are considered U.S. citizens.

Graduate Assistantship
If you applied for a teaching or research assistantship, we encourage you to contact the academic department directly to find out whether the final decision has been made.

If you have been awarded a graduate assistantship from a university department, you may be eligible to apply for a J-1 student visa instead of F-1 student visa. The comparison of both visa types is listed below:
F-1 Student Visa 

  • F-1 is the most commonly used visa by students who come to the U.S. to pursue full-time graduate or undergraduate study without full sponsorship.
  • The post-graduation training for F-1 students is limited to 12 months but no job offer is required to apply for work permission within the United States.
  • F-2 dependents of F-1 visa holders are not eligible to apply for work permission in the United States.
  • Students on F-1 visas are not subject to a potential two-year home country physical presence requirement.

J-1 Student Visa

  • If students receive more than 50% funding from an academic department, they may be eligible to apply for a J-1 student visa.
  • The length of post-graduation academic training for J-1 students goes up to 18 months (36 months for postdoctoral training) and requires a job offer.
  • J-2 dependents of J-1 visa holders are eligible to apply for work permission in the United States and enroll as full-time students.
  • Please note that J-1 visa holder may be subject to a potential two-year home country physical presence requirement.

Please advise which student visa you wish to apply for so that we can process your visa documents accordingly.

Please feel free to contact us at if you have any questions regarding I-20/DS-2019 issuance.