SUSI Student Ambassador Application
The Study of U.S. Institutes (SUSI) on the Rule of Law and Public Service and Climate Change and Environmental Issues are exchange programs designed and sponsored by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs with funding provided by the U.S. Government, and administered by Northern Nevada International Center at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Within the scope of the program, participants study leadership, topics related to their institute’s themes, project-planning, and participate in volunteer and service activities, leadership workshops and cultural excursions.
SUSI Ambassadors are University of Nevada, Reno and/or Truckee Meadows community College students who receive training and experience in leadership, planning, teamwork and citizen diplomacy. Ambassadors are an integral part of the SUSI program and act as cultural liaisons, peer mentors, friends and leaders during the international participants' time in Reno. As a SUSI Ambassador, you can learn new skills, have fun, make friends, build your resume and support NNIC's mission to inspire cross-cultural friendship and understanding on campus and in our community.
Role of a SUSI ambassador
Ambassadors will have the opportunity to meet and spend time with all SUSI students in the cohorts they wish to be ambassadors for. They will be matched three to one. Each ambassador will support assigned SUSI participants until the end of their program in Reno. During the program dates, ambassadors should be available for the following:
- A pre-program training June 9, 2022
- Attend some of the leadership sessions early afternoon at the University
- Cultural activities with the participants in the weekends and evenings
- Participate in community service activities alongside the participants
- Assist participants with their assignments and capstone projects
- Act as cultural liaisons and peer mentors.
- Attend 3-5 community service, leadership, and social activities per week (some events are in the evening between 5 p.m, and 8 p.m. and total 5-10 hours each week. Some are optional, and many are required.
- Attend two Saturdays cultural trips to Lake Tahoe and Virginia City
- Ambassadors are invited to attend other lectures and programing activities
SUSI Rule of Law Ambassador Details
June 18-July 20, 2022
NNIC/University of Nevada, Reno is hosting 13 undergraduate students from Bangladesh, Bulgaria, Kuwait, Malaysia, and Colombia to study the rule of law and public service between June 18-July 20, 2022.
SUSI Climate Change and Environmental Issues Ambassador Details
June 25-July 24, 2022
NNIC/University of Nevada, Reno is hosting 20 undergraduate students from various European countries.
Become an ambassador
SUSI Ambassadors will receive a stipend of $1,000 at the end of the program. All ambassador admission fees and meals during cultural activities are covered by NNIC.
Please complete the online application form, and contact Nilufer Leuthold, Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. The application deadline is May 31, 2022.