Youth Leadership Program with Algeria
2022 Program Dates: June 14 - July 6, 2022
Program Locations: Reno, NV and Washington, D.C.
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program (AYLP) is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange takes place every June and July in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC.
NNIC has coordinated the exchange for 13 consecutive years. The program employs a highly interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation and the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy, and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic. One of the goals of the program is to provide participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Please note: The safety of participants and our communities is our number one priority. In-person exchange on the dates noted above is contingent upon the stabilization of the pandemic, the easing of travel restrictions and the safety of travel. In the case that travel is not possible on these dates, the program may be held at later dates or virtually.
Host a Youth Leadership Program with Algeria participant for 12 days
Bring Algeria to your home for 12 days while you get to know one of the outstanding youth participating in the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria. You do not have to have a child participating in the program to host—in fact you can host without having children in your home at all! This is a great short-term way to learn about different cultures and connect with young leaders!
Hosting for the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria is scheduled to take place in June 14 - 26, 2022.
Please email Program Specialist Olivia Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or for hosting details.
Algerian youth applications (currently closed)
Applications for Algerian Youth Participants in the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria are currently closed. Applications typically open in the autumn (October or November), so please check back frequently in Fall 2022 for details on the AYLP 2023 application.
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on the program start date in June 2023
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
Algerian adult applicants (currently closed)
Applications for Algerian Adult Participants in the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria are currently closed. Applications typically open in the autumn (October or November), so please check back frequently in autumn 2022 for details on the AYLP 2023 application.
Adults who are eligible to apply must:
- Be legal citizens of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Be community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required-program staff will travel with you to the U.S.)
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State
American youth applications (currently closed)
Applications for American youth for the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria are currently closed. Applications typically open in January, so please check back frequently in Fall 2022 for details on the AYPL 2023 application.
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a U.S. citizen and reside in the United States;
- Be a high school freshman, sophomore, or junior;
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 on June 14, 2022;
- Be able work cooperatively in a team setting and appreciate the opinions of others;
- Be interested in program themes of leadership, community service and volunteer activities and have good academic performance;
- Be able to commit to implementing a post-program community-based project;
- Have sufficient proficiency in English to participate fully in all exchange activities;
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the entire program;
- Do not have a family member employed by the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State.
We encourage people with disabilities and diverse backgrounds to apply. Opportunities are open to people regardless of their race, color, national origin, sex, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.