Youth Leadership Program with Algeria
2023 Program Dates: July 2-26, 2023
Program locations: Reno, NV and Washington, D.C.
The Youth Leadership Program with Algeria (YLPA) is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange takes place every summer in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC. The Northern Nevada International Center has coordinated the exchange for 14 consecutive years.
YLPA employs a highly interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation and the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy, and the role that social enterprises play in a community. Participants will stay with an American host family and have the opportunity to engage with and learn from their host family throughout the program. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State's Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
The program is comprised of an intensive training schedule that includes highly academic workshops, project planning, teambuilding activities and cultural components. After the completion of the U.S. based program, participants are required to complete a post-program service project in their local communities. Participants can expect to be in programming sessions from a minimum of 8:15 a.m.–5 p.m. Some days include programming from 8:15 a.m.–8:30 p.m.
Please view a list of frequently asked questions about the YLPA program.
American youth applications for 2023 (opens February 17)
The application for American youth for the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria is open from February 17-April 2, 2023.
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a U.S. citizen and reside in the United States;
- Be a high school freshman, sophomore, or junior;
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 on July 12, 2023;
- Be able work cooperatively in a team setting and appreciate the opinions of others;
- Be interested in program themes of leadership, community service and volunteer activities and have good academic performance;
- Be able to commit to implementing a post-program community-based project;
- Have sufficient proficiency in English to participate fully in all exchange activities;
- Have permission from parent(s) or legal guardian(s) to participate in the entire program;
- Do not have a family member employed by the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State.
We encourage people with disabilities and diverse backgrounds to apply. Opportunities are open to people regardless of their race, color, national origin, sex, religion, socioeconomic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
American Youth Application information
Algerian youth applications
Application open October 7-November 5
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on the program start date July 7, 2023
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
The 2023 Algerian youth application is currently closed.
Algerian adult applicants
Application open from October 7-November 5, 2022
Adults who are eligible to apply must:
- Be legal citizens of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Be community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required-program staff will travel with you to the U.S.)
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement or the U.S. Department of State
The 2023 Algerian Adult application is currently closed.
Host a Youth Leadership Program with Algeria participant for 12 days
Bring Algeria to your home for 12 days while you get to know one of the outstanding youth participating in the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria. You do not have to have a child participating in the program to host—in fact you can host without having children in your home at all! This is a great short-term way to learn about different cultures and connect with young leaders!
Hosting for the Youth Leadership Program with Algeria is scheduled to take place July 11-23, 2023. (12 nights)