Internships at the Northern Nevada International Center
The Northern Nevada International Center (NNIC) is one of few international organizations in the Northern Nevada area. We are committed to educating and engaging the next generation of citizen diplomats and therefore provide internship opportunities for young adults in the Reno-Tahoe area. Candidates should consider an internship with the Northern Nevada International Center if they are looking for unique way to gain professional and developmental skills that will assist them in furthering their careers while simultaneously watching how their work can make immediate, positive contributions.
Internships at the Northern Nevada International Center are unpaid but can be completed for course credit. They are offered during each academic semester: spring, summer and fall. Spring and fall internships last a approximately three months, while summer and winter internships last approximately two months. Internships can be a pathway to part-time or full-time employment at NNIC.
Start and end dates are typically offset from the beginning and end of each academic semester to accommodate student schedules. Selected interns will be expected to commit to a minimum of ten hours per week.
Students will work closely to support one of our four teams:
- International Exchanges
- Refugee Reception and Placement
- Language Bank
Day-to-day responsibilities vary per team, but interns will gain professional experience and hone skills. NNIC is seeking qualified interns who possess:
- A high attention to detail
- Strong written and verbal communication
- An ability to adapt to high-stress and constantly fluid situations
- An ability to speak, write or understand a different language (preferred but not required)
- Experience working with individuals of diverse cultures
- An interest in global affairs, public diplomacy, refugee resettlement and language access
- Experience using Microsoft 365 applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, ect.)
- Experience using digital design platforms (such as Canva)
Apply for a internship
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis. To be considered for an NNIC internship, you must complete an application.
NNIC is currently seeking applications for the following positions:
- Exchanges Intern
- Reception and Placement (R&P) Intern
- Language Bank Intern
- Admin Intern
- Social Media Intern
For more information, please contact the Internship Coordinator Natalie Valenzuela, at email@example.com.
Priority application deadlines
Priority deadlines to be considered for a Spring/ Summer 2023 internship:
- Spring: February 17, 2023 | 11:59 p.m. Deadline Extended
- Summer: May 21, 2023 | 11:59 p.m.
Getting credit for your internship
Students at the University of Nevada, Reno, wishing to complete an internship with the Northern Nevada International Center for course credit must consult their academic advisor. A minimum of 120 hours must be completed throughout the internship period, equivalent to approximately 10 hours per week. Internship hours must be completed within NNIC’s normal business hours of Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
All interns will be expected to attend orientation at the beginning of their internship, as well as provide a schedule to which they will adhere.