Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander Working Group
AsPIre was founded in 2021 at the University of Nevada, Reno as an alliance of Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander (AAPI) faculty and staff members who are interested in shaping and advancing AAPI initiatives on campus and addressing related issues.
AsPIre is dedicated to promoting a collaborative and generative environment for Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander faculty, staff and students on campus and beyond. We work towards fostering an inclusive community and cultivating professional, institutional and personal development of and for our members.
AsPIre aims to:
- Grow a community of Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander faculty and staff through networking, professional development and mentoring.
- Assist with efforts to recruit and retain diverse faculty and staff.
- Mentor and support Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander students.
- Communicate relevant concerns with University members and work towards policies and institutional solutions.
- Increase the visibility and celebrate the diversity and vibrancy of the Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander communities at University of Nevada, Reno.
- Educate the University and wider community about Asian, Asian American and Indigenous Pacific Islander issues and initiatives.
Steering committee: Academic Year 2021–2022
- Jared Bok, Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology
- Cydney Giroux, Academic Advisor, College of Liberal Arts Student Center
- Lin Li Hall, Senior Lecturer/Advisor, Department of World Languages & Literatures
- Leilani Kupo, Dean of Students
- Sandhya Krittika Narayanan, Assistant Professor, Department of Anthropology
- Matt Means, Associate Professor, Department of Music and Dean of Honors College
- Meredith Oda, Associate Professor, Department of History and Associate Chair, Department of Gender, Race & Identity
- Hyeyeon Park, Associate Professor, Department of Music
- Kate Pollard, Senior Lecturer, Department of Music
- David Shintani, Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education
- Jennifer Sims, Assistant Director, Upward Bound & Upward Bound Math Science Programs
- Keola Wong, Coordinator, The Multicultural Center
How do I become a member?
For more information, to join our listserv and/or to become a member, please contact any member of the steering committee.