Counseling Services FAQ

In any emergency involving physical harm or a threat to life, please call 911 (9-911 from a campus phone) or contact the University of Nevada, Reno Police Department Dispatch at (775) 334-2677 immediately.

If you are experiencing a psychological crisis, you can call or walk-in to Counseling Services between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Let the receptionist know you are requesting a same-day emergency appointment. A counselor will briefly meet with you to determine the best course of action (scheduling an intake appointment with you, referring you to other resources, etc.).

If you are experiencing a crisis and it is after hours, please call (775) 784-4648.

  • Who may use Counseling Services?

    University of Nevada, Reno graduate and undergraduate students are eligible for our clinical services. Partners of students may also be seen but only as part of couple counseling. Faculty and staff may access any of our professional staff for consultation regarding student concerns.

  • Does counseling really help?

    For most students, counseling does help students make the most of the university experience, both personally and academically. Meeting with a counselor is a chance to explore one's hopes and fears, and determine possible courses of action or resolution in a calm, objective and confidential setting.

  • Will I need to take medication?

    Being seen for psychotherapy by a counselor does not necessarily mean you will need to take medications. Many psychological problems can be successfully treated without the use of medications. If you and your counselor decide that medications should be considered as a adjunct to counseling, your counselor will discuss referral options with you. You will need to see a physician (such as a psychiatrist) to be prescribed any medications. It is important to let your counselor know about any medications you have already been prescribed.

  • Does it mean something is terribly wrong with me if I need counseling?

    No. Sometimes students at a university find life difficult or overwhelming. A great many life stressors contribute to these feelings. Some examples are academic stress, scheduling and time management, illness or injury, and devastating life events such as abuse, death, or a relationship breakup. There can also be factors inside a person that impact their well-being, such as self-esteem, body image or feeling different or isolated from other people because of some aspect of identity or personality. Almost everyone experiences some times in life when ordinary or extraordinary events become overwhelming.

  • Does Counseling Services provide court-mandated counseling?

    No. It is the policy of Counseling Services not to provide court mandated counseling. We can help to provide you with appropriate referrals in the community.

  • What services are available for international students?

    We support our international student population in adjusting to life at University of Nevada, Reno. International students are eligible for all student services. Counseling Services partners with the Office of International Students and Scholars to provide mental health programming to international students. We offer individual therapy, outreach prevention events, support groups, and brief consultations.

  • Will counseling help to improve my grades?

    For many students, counseling does help in identifying and removing obstacles to doing well academically. For some, it may help improve the overall quality of life and the success of interpersonal relationships, which can often indirectly affect academics.

  • Do my parents have to know I am in counseling?

    No. Federal and state law prohibits us from acknowledging that you are a client or disclosing any file information with your parent without your specific written permission. An exception to this is for minor students under age 18. Although these individuals are generally afforded the same confidentiality protection as an adult student, there are some limitations that a counselor will be happy to discuss with you. We do require that persons under age 18 have written parental (or guardian) consent to receive our services.

    It often happens, however, that our clients find it very helpful for their counselors to speak with a parent, a residential life staff member, or a faculty member. It is up to you and your counselor to discuss what would work best in your particular situation. If you have any questions or concerns about confidentiality, feel free to bring them up with a counselor.

  • Who will be my counselor?

    All of the clinical staff at Counseling Services are licensed (or licensure-in-process) professionals. They include five psychologists, two marriage and family therapists, two alcohol and drug counselors, and a clinical social worker. In addition, we have a Psychiatric Resident on our staff. Counseling Services is also a clinical training site for Ph.D. students in clinical psychology and M.S.W. students in social work. All of those counselors receive intensive supervision by senior staff. There are no undergraduate trainees at our site. You can be confident that your counselor has the necessary training and experience to effectively help you.

  • What if I do not feel comfortable with my assigned therapist?

    We want you to have a successful experience here. As part of the intake process, we gather information and make assessments partially to facilitate making a good match with the skills and training of various counselors. Even so, occasionally not every such match is a good fit. If you are not comfortable with your assigned counselor, please let us know. Ideally, this would be a concern to discuss with your counselor. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, let our front desk staff know. They will help you get to the right person to make a better arrangement for you.

  • How long will you keep my records on file?

    We follow the state and national guidelines for retaining confidential records. All such records are required to be kept on file for seven years after your last session. If you are a minor, your records will be kept for seven years after you reach the age of 18. After that seven years, your records will be destroyed.

  • If I think my friend needs help, how do I get them to come and see you?

    It can be very difficult when someone you care about is in pain. You might find yourself feeling helpless, frightened, frustrated or angry. It is very hard to make a person seek help if they don't want to or don't feel they need it, and counseling with an unwilling client is usually not very effective.

    Here are some things you might offer as a friend:

    • Let your friend know that you are concerned. Suggest they make an appointment with a counselor to see if we can be of help. Try to phrase the communication using "I" language, rather than "You" language. For example, "I care about you and I am sad to see you are hurting" rather than "You are in trouble and need help."
    • Offer to sit with your friend while they make an appointment.
    • Offer to accompany your friend to their first appointment, and either wait in the waiting area or go to the appointment with them.
    • Call or come into the counseling center yourself, and talk with a counselor about your worries about your friend. You will not need to tell the counselor your friend's name, and you do not necessarily even need to let your friend know you came in. The counselor may be able to offer you suggestions about how to interact more effectively with this friend, as well as to manage your own feelings about the situation.
    • Surf the web or the bookstore for information about your friend's problem(s), and pass it along to your friend. Invite them to compare reactions with you about the information, or talk about the information with a counselor.