The University of Nevada, Reno Psychology Doctoral Internship is a 2,000 hour experience, with the expectation of at least 500 hours of direct service activities. Interns gain experience through a wide range of activities some of which will be negotiated individually by each trainee based on their interest areas and the needs of the center.
- Intake/initial consultation assessments
- Individual psychotherapy
- Group counseling
- Crisis intervention
- Psychological testing and report writing
- Clinical supervision of a therapist in training
- Outreach and consultation
Training Seminars include: developing multicultural competencies, intern case conference/consultations, supervision of supervision and clinical/professional issues seminar. Additionally, training seminars will include didactics such as: brief therapy, crisis/suicidal/at-risk clients, professional ethics, mindfulness and eating disorders.
Three hours of regularly scheduled individual supervision and two hours of regularly scheduled group supervision will be provided per week. Other regularly scheduled activities include training and practice in psychological assessment, our weekly staff meeting, outreach, multidisciplinary consultation, preparation and administrative time for documentation, dissertation research time/professional development time.
Specialty emphasis areas are available depending on intern interests, available staff with focuses in these areas, and center needs. Examples include, but are not limited to: GLBTQI populations, diversity and multicultural counseling, psychological testing, eating disorder treatment, sport psychology consulting, group counseling, behavioral health/integrated care, outcome evaluation and research or supervision and training.
Training year and benefits
We will offer three positions for the 2021-2022 internship year.
- The internship is 40 hours/week starting August 1, 2021 – July 31, 2022.
- The stipend is $35,308 plus benefits, paid monthly.
- Interns also receive 11 university holidays and 10 annual leave days, 10 sick days and professional development leave. The timing of leave is subject to approval of the Training Director.
- All interns will have a private office with a computer, webcam for videotaping and library privileges.