Pack Provisions is the on-campus food pantry that serves the University of Nevada, Reno community. This is a completely free resource that is available for all members of the Wolf Pack to utilize whenever they are in need. This resource can be accessed by students, staff, and faculty. Our pantry is located inside of the Center for Student Engagement, which is on the third floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union.
Pack Provisions strives to support all members of the University of Nevada, Reno to achieve academic success by providing access to basic necessities such as food and hygiene supplies. This mission is carried out by eliminating barriers that University community members may have while experiencing financial hardship. Pack Provisions provides social wellness through perishable and non-perishable foods, meal swipes, grocery funds, school supplies, hygiene items and more.
This service is not government funded; therefore, it is not considered a public charge benefit and will not affect the status of international students. This service does not require a social security number, state ID, or a passport to request services. This service does not impact financial aid awards. The only requirement for utilizing Pack Provisions is an active NSHE ID number.
If you have any questions about your eligibility to use these services, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Pack Provisions works
Pack Provisions can be utilized through our operating system, PantrySoft. Students, staff, and faculty interested in receiving food and hygiene supplies can now place their order online and then come in person to the Center for Student Engagement to pick up their order.
Steps to place an order for Pack Provisions:
- Visit PantrySoft.
- Select "login with NetID.” Enter your NetID and password.
- First time users will be instructed to fill out a registration form. This just collects basic information such as name, age, NSHE ID, ethnicity, household size, etc.
- Schedule a pick-up time. Select a time two days in advance to pick up your order. This is the time you will come to the Center of Student Engagement to pick up all of the items in your order.
- Select all of the items that you would like included in your order. This includes canned goods, snacks, and other shelf stable items as well as hygiene items.
- Submit your order.
- Pick up your order on the day and time that you selected. Fridge and freezer items will be available upon pickup.
Orders can be picked up during the following hours from the Center of Student Engagement located on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. Pack Provisions is open year-round, but is closed all University holidays.
- Monday - Friday: 9:00a.m. - 5:00p.m.
If you need assistance creating your account, placing an order, or changing your pick-up time, please email email@example.com.
How to Help
Our program relies on volunteers to provide the highest quality and most accessible service to our campus community. All of our volunteering opportunities are posted on GivePulse, where you are able to sign up for the events and opportunities that interest you.
Volunteers are held to the same moral and ethical standards as Pack Provisions staff. Volunteers are required to keep all information about visitors confidential. Here's what we're looking for in volunteers:
- Enthusiasm for helping others
- Excellent communication skills
- Superb customer service skills
Training is required for all volunteers. This training is accessible through Canvas, and it must be completed before coming in to volunteer. Please fill out the Pack Provisions training request, and we will admit you to the Pack Provisions volunteers course on Canvas. You must accept this invitation to join in order to see the materials.
Please complete the volunteer requirements module on Canvas. It contains a training PowerPoint and a short quiz on the training. Once this has been completed, please sign-up to volunteer on GivePulse.
Volunteers help Pack Provisions meet our goals! Additional responsibilities will depend on the present need but can consist of:
- Packing online orders for students
- Organizing and sorting the food and resource pantry
- Tabling to promote program awareness
- Special projects including outreach, communications, research and programming
We have specific outreach events throughout the semester as well as deliveries from the food bank, as well as open opportunities where volunteers can work on packing orders and restocking the pantry on their own time. Volunteers can choose whatever works best for their schedule.
We ask that volunteers commit to volunteering just once a week for the duration of the semester. We try to be consistent in our hours so students, faculty and staff can access the service. If you have any questions regarding volunteering with Pack Provisions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A big part of what Pack Provisions provides to the university community is carried out through donations. If you have any food or hygiene items you can bring them to the Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. All donated items must be unopened and/or unused. This is for the safety of Pack Provisions users and staff.
Pack Provisions is in need of:
- Canned protein
- Canned soup
- Canned fruit/vegetables
- Granola bars
- Body wash
- Laundry detergent
Pack Provisions accepts financial donations, which help significantly in our mission of serving as many students, faculty and staff as possible. We can take cash donations or you can donate electronically.
To make a cash donation, please bring your contribution to Central Station, which is also located in the Center for Student Engagement. They will process your donation and add it the Pack Provisions account. They can provide you with a receipt to document this donation.
To make an online donation using a credit card, please click on the link below:
Host a drive
Many of our resources come from donations. We encourage clubs, organizations and university departments to consider our program when planning donation drives of food, toiletry items, or school supplies. Donated resources will stay and support members of the university community. Because we are a small program with limited space, any excess donations that we cannot use will be donated to a local organization.
Pack Provisions can support your donation drive by:
- Providing donation bins decorated with our publicity for your organization to set up in locations on campus or at your event. We can drop off these bins to your location and pick up the bins and any donated items. Please fill out the following request form to reserve these bins for your event.
- We can help promote your drive through existing Center for Student Engagement channels such as through social media platforms and newsletters. (Be aware that this does not include ASUN's Inkblot graphic design or video services.)