Clubs and Organization Travel
These protocols apply to clubs recognized by ASUN, Fitness & Recreational Sports, and Fraternity & Sorority Life.
Plan ahead! Travelers will not receive a P-Card from Central Station until your Travel Request Form and all necessary forms are approved.
Don't wait! If the clubs are planning to receive ASUN club support funding, they must submit a Funding Request Form (found under your club's "Finance" tab) in Pack Life and attend a Funding Hearing before submitting the Travel Request Form. Clubs must demonstrate an ability to pay for any anticipated travel expenses before being issued a P-Card through an approved travel request.
All requests must be approved before you travel! Travel must be approved by the Associate Vice President of Student Life before any commitments, travel arrangements, or expenditure of funds can be made by clubs.
Clubs may not travel unless the request form is fully executed. If clubs would like to inquire about the status of the claim, please email Wei Jiang at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a Travel Request Form
- Domestic travel:
- At least 30 days prior to travel for car travel (personal car, car rental)
- At least 45 days (air, train or bus rental travel)
- Any Travel Request Forms submitted after 30 days prior to the date of travel may not have adequate time for review and approval.
- Travel is not considered approved until you have received an approval on the Travel Request Form.
- Necessary Documents/Attachments:
- Detailed Agenda- A conference/tournament itinerary must be attached if applicable. If an official itinerary is not provided, or does not exist, a typed agenda of your trip must be attached.
- Roster- Include a roster of everyone traveling with names, phone numbers, and email addresses. All student travelers must be on your roster in Pack Life. This includes club members, coaches, faculty advisors, community advisors, etc.
- Lodging Information- Information on location, cost estimate and number of rooms.
- Budget Breakdown- Make sure to include where funds are coming from.
- Completed Business Travel form for each traveler.
- Auto Travel only- For each driver:
- Upload a valid driver’s license
- Valid insurance certificate
- Each driver must be 21 years or older.
- Attach a Personal Vehicle Request Form for each driver. Form is available on the Travel Request Form on Pack Life.
- Attach a Screenshot of the Google Maps Route which includes the number of miles being traveled and the destination and starting point.
- You must have 1 driver per 5 travelers.
- If driving over 251 miles round trip you must include a breakdown of your travel safety plan.
- Air, Train, or Chartered Bus Travel Only- Attach the flight, bus, or train travel itinerary with a cost estimate
- If clubs are relying on ASUN Club Support Funding, funding must be secured at least 2 days before submitting a travel request
- International travel:
- Please email Assistant Director of Clubs & Orgs, Shannon Owens prior to planning any international travel at email@example.com
- At least 45 days or more prior to travel, submit BOTH a Travel Request form with the Center for Student Engagement and an International Travel Authorization Request to Assistant Director of Clubs & Orgs, Shannon Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clubs will also be required to fill out an International Travel Safety and Risk Assessment Form with their Advisor.
- Please note that depending on the U.S. Department of State Travel advisory level of a given country, permission to travel may not be given.
- Any country with a U.S. Department of State Travel advisory level 3 or level 4 will require a risk assessment to be completed.
- Students should check the BCN International Travel website to determine which risk assessment to complete depending on the type of travel (employee vs. student).
- If clubs are relying on ASUN Club Support Funding, funding must be secured at least 2 days before submitting an international travel request.
- Domestic travel:
- Complete a Credit Card Request Form:
- Once the travel request is approved, if you need to pay for travel-related expenses using a purchasing card and have the funds in their club account and/or have received club support funding, clubs must submit a Credit Card Request Form in Pack Life.
- Receipts from purchases made with ASUN credit cards, checks, or IPO's must be turned in to ASUN Accounting within 24 hours. All receipts need to be itemized.
- Any club that fails to submit receipts will not be allowed to request further services from ASUN Accounting.
- International travel: If country changes travel advisory levels while abroad, students may be required to return immediately.
- Traveling club members and accompanying travelers (e.g. coaches, advisors, etc.) need to follow travel requirements for other institutions/venues and the specific counties/cities they are in if they are more restrictive than the University.
Travel must be approved by the Associate Vice President of Student Life before any commitments, travel arrangements, or expenditure of funds can be made by clubs.
- 1-250 roundtrip mileage stipulation: For trips within 250 miles from the greater Reno area, clubs may travel via personal vehicle. A personal vehicle is defined as a non-commercial or rented vehicle. No overnight stay is required.
- 251- 400 roundtrip mileage stipulation: For travel within 400 miles from the greater Reno area, clubs may travel via personal vehicle as long as all traveling members stay overnight and return at the end of the approved trip mileage of 251-400. No additional travel locations can be added.
- An option for same-day travel in this mileage range is that clubs can hire commercial transportation for same-day out-and-back service.
- 401 + roundtrip mileage stipulation: Commercial transportation is required for travel outside of the 401 mile radius of the greater Reno. Personal vehicle travel will only be allowed with the approval of the Associate Vice President of Student Life, with a detailed safety plan that includes overnight stays, change of drivers, and breaks.
If you are ill
- Members and attendees should know that if they are sick they should not travel or attend in-person activities, events, or meetings.
- If a member is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, we recommend they get tested. Home testing is widely available. Daily free COVID testing is available Monday through Friday at the Student Health Center by appointment. Call (775) 784-6598 to make an appointment.
When you return
- Travel claim/reimbursement: A Reimbursement Request Form (in Pack Life) for each traveler seeking money back must be turned in 10 business days after you return from your trip.
Helpful Travel Links: