Staff Suggested Reading List
Reading by topic
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed - Paulo Freire - 1970
- Culture and Power in the Classroom - Antonia Darder - 1991
- Made in America: Immigrant Students in Our Public Schools - Laurie Olsen - 1997
- Ain't No Making It: Aspirations & Attainment In a Low Income Neighborhood - Jay Macleod - 1995
- Democracy and Education - John Dewey - 1916
- The Hidden Curriculum in Higher Education - Eric Margolis, Editor - 2001
- Common Sense - Thomas Paine - 1776
- The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
- Educating Citizens - Colby, Ehrlich, Beaumont, Stephens - 2003
- Our Endangered Values - Jimmy Carter - 2005
- Forms of Ethical and Intellectual Development in the College Years - William Perry - 1970
- Higher Ground: Ethics and Leadership in the Modern University - Nannerl O. Keohane - 2006
- We Make the Road By Walking: Conversations on Education and Social Change - Myles Horton and Paulo Freire - 1990
- Readings For Diversity and Social Justice - Edited by Adams, Blumenfeld, Castaneda, Hackman, Peters, Zuniga - 2000
- A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn - 2003
- "Why Are All the Black Kids Sitting Together In The Cafeteria?": And Other Conversations About Race - Beverly Daniel Tatum - 1997
- Affluenza: The All Consuming Epidemic - De Graff, Wann, Naylor - 2001
- The Theory of the Leisure Class: An Economic Study of Institutions - Thorstein Veblen - 1899
- Student Publications: Legalities, Governance, and Operation - Louis Edward Ingelhart -1993
- The Associated Press: Stylebook ad Libel Manual -Edited by Norm Goldstein - 1998
- Responsible and Ethical Decision Making: Advertising and Editorial Content - Harvey Leonard Gotliffe -2000
- Governing: College Student Publications - J. William Click - 1980
- Law of the Student Press - Student Press Law Center -1994
- Graphic Design Basics - Amy E. Arntson - 1988
- Advising Student Groups and Organizations - Norbert W. Dunkel, John H. Schuh -1998
- Good to Great - Jim Collins - 2001
- Students Helping Students: A Guide for Peer Educators on College Campuses - Steven C. Ender, Fred B. Newton -2000
- The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness - Steven . R. Covey - 2004
- When Hope and Fear Collide - Arthur Levine, Jeanette S. Cureton -1998
- 201 Icebreakers: Group Mixers, Warm-Ups, Energizers, and Playful Activities - Edie West -1997
- How College Affects Students - Ernest T. Pascarella, Patrick T. Terenzini - 1991
- The Law of Higher Education - William A. Kaplin, Barbara A. Lee - 1995
- Generation Me - Jean Twenge - 2006
- The First Amendment on Campus: A Handbook for College and University Administrators - Edited by Lee E. Bird, Mary Beth Mackin & Saundra K. Schuster - 2006
Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement
- Astin, A. W., & Astin, H. S. (2000). Leadership Reconsidered: Engaging Higher Education in Social Change.
- Bringle, R. G., & Hatcher, J. A. (2002). Campus-community partnerships: The terms of engagement. Journal of Social Issues, 58(3), 503-516.
- Bringle, R. G., & Clayton, P. H. (2012). Civic education through service learning: What, how, and why. Higher education and civic engagement: Comparative perspectives, 101-124. Boyer, E. Scholarship Reconsidered: Priorities of the Professoriate. Princeton, N.J.: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 1990.
- Boyer, E. Scholarship Reconsidered: Priorities of the Professoriate. Princeton, N.J.: Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, 1990. Boyer, E. (1990). Scholarship Reconsidered: priorities for the professoriate (Princeton, NJ, Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching, University of Princeton).
- Chambers, T., & Phelps, C. E. (1993). Student activism as a form of leadership and student development. NASPA Journal, 31(1), 19-29.
- Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. (2015). Community Engagement and elective classification. [Online]. Retrieved on September 19, 2015, from http://www.carnegiefoundation.org.
- DeLugan, R. M., Roussos, S., & Skram, G. (2014). Linking Academic and Community Guidelines for Community-Engaged Scholarship. Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement, 18(1), 155-168.
- Ehrlich, T. (2000). Civic responsibility and higher education. Oxy Press.
- Furco, A. (1996). Service-learning: A balanced approach to experiential education.
- Kennedy, B. D. (1997). Academic duty. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Kiesa, A., Orlowski, A. P., Levine, P., Both, D., Kirby, E. H., Lopez, M. H., & Marcelo, K. B. (2007). Millennials Talk Politics: A Study of College Student Political Engagement. Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE).
- Learning reconsidered: A campus-wide focus on the student experience. National Association of Student Personnel Administrators, American College Personnel Association, 2004.
- Learning reconsidered 2: Implementing a campus-wide focus on the student experience. ACPA, 2006.
- Macfarlane, B. (2007). Defining and rewarding academic citizenship: The implications for university promotions policy. Journal of Higher Education Policy and Management, 29(3), 261-273.
- National Task Force on Civic Learning and Democratic Engagement. (2012). A crucible moment: College learning and democracy's future.
- Toole, J., & Toole, P. (1992). Key definitions: Commonly used terms in the youth service field. Roseville, MN: National Youth Leadership Council.
- Saltmarsh, J., Hartley, M., & Clayton, P. (2009). Democratic engagement white paper.
- Saltmarsh, J., & Hartley, M. (Eds.). (2011). "To serve a larger purpose": Engagement for democracy and the transformation of higher education. Temple University Press.
- Stanford Haas Center for Public Service (2015). Public Service Pathways. Wittman, A. (2012). Engaged. Zúñiga, X., Nelson Laird, T. F., & Mitchell, T. D. (2015). Preparing students for democratic citizenship in a multicultural society: Engaging diversity through Project MosaiK. Journal of Student Affairs Research and Practice, 52(3), 237-249.