Responsibilities of the Department Chair/Director and College Dean/Unit VP
The department chair/director and college dean/unit VP review and approve sponsored projects proposals via InfoEd thereby endorsing the principal investigator (PI) as follows:
- The department agrees that the individual is eligible to serve as PI on a sponsored project at the University of Nevada, Reno (University or UNR).
- The PI has, in general terms, the knowledge, time and ability to work toward completion of the project scope of work.
- The department will take responsibility for the conduct of the agreement if the PI is not capable, able or willing to complete the terms of the agreement. This includes over-expenditures or non-payments which are the result of fault by the PI.
- The PI has the resources available which include equipment, space and support to complete the scope of work. If resources are not available, that support is requested in the proposal or there is a pre-negotiated agreement with all appropriate University parties that the space, equipment and/or support will be provided if the award is made.
- The department chair/director is aware of any potential conflict of interest and is willing to manage, eliminate or minimize as required by the UNR conflict of interest policy and federal regulations.
- The department chair/director is aware of any cost sharing/matching commitments, is aware of the source of the cost share/matching and assures necessary commitments will be in place prior to the award.
- The department chair(s)/director(s) of Co-PIs are aware of their participation and, if needed, have negotiated a split of indirect cost recovery if the Co-PIs are in different departments from the PI.
- The Co-PIs have the resources available similar to all of the above.
- You have reviewed the project budget.
- You agree with any cost matching/sharing requirements including both cash and in-kind.
- You agree with any commitment for distribution of indirect cost recovery.
- You, your college and your department will take reasonable responsibility for over-expenditures and/or lack of reimbursement from the sponsor due to non-performance of the University researcher(s).
- You have agreed to any proposed space allocation or renovation as indicated in the proposal or on the transmittal form.
- You agree with any commitment of time proposed including any proposed reassignment from teaching during the academic year.
- No undergraduate or graduate student's education/research will be compromised by his or her participation in the project.
- The PI qualifies to be a principal investigator under University policy, and your department/college/campus unit is committed to supporting the project.
- The proposal is compatible with the PI's expertise and capability.