Extension of a Program of Study
A student must apply for an extension of a program of study if s/he is unable to complete his/her study within the established time limit. The established time limit is the date on line #5 of the student's initial I-20 ("complete studies no later than [date]").
Extension beyond the authorized period is possible only under the following reasons:
- Change of major
- Change in research topic
- Unexpected research problems
- Documented medical reasons
- Student must be in valid status and making normal progress towards completing his/her program objective
- Reasons for program extension: change of major, unexpected research problems or change in research topic, medical issues
- Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extension
To apply for an extension of a program of study, an F-1 student must do the following:
- Meet with your academic advisor and obtain your academic advisor's recommendation for Program Extension.
- Submit financial support documentation issued within the last 6 months certifying the availability of funding for the requested period of extension. Contact OISS for amount of funding required.
- Submit a Financial Data Form along with the financial documentation if the funding is from a source other than yourself.
- Schedule an appointment with an OISS advisor and bring the recommendation form and financial documentation.
- The OISS advisor will review the documentation and if approved, issue a new I-20/DS-2019 with a new program completion date.
Note: If you work on-campus, you must give a copy of your new I-20/DS-2019 to your employer to update your Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) with the new dates. You will not be paid unless your Form I-9 is updated.