Sigma Delta Pi (Zeta Omicron Chapter)
Sociedad Nacional Honoraria Hispánica (National Collegiate Hispanic Honor Society)
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Casilde Isabelli
Interested in joining? Complete the application online.
The World Languages and Literatures Department Spanish section is proud to be a member of Sigma Delta Pi, the National Hispanic Honor Society. Sigma Delta Pi was founded November 14, 1919, at the University of California, Berkeley. Sigma Delta Pi recognizes excellence in the study of the Spanish language, civilization and literature. There are over 550 collegiate chapters. Our chapter Zeta Omicron was chartered in 1977. It went inactive for some time, but was activated again in 2012.
- To honor those who seek and attain excellence in the study of the Spanish language and in the study of the literature and the culture of the Spanish speaking peoples.
- To honor those who have made Hispanic contributions to modern culture better known in the English-speaking world.
- To encourage college and university students to acquire a greater interest in and a deeper understanding of Hispanic culture.
- To foster friendly relations and mutual respect between the nations of Hispanic speech and those of English speech.
- To serve its membership in ways which will contribute to the attainment of the goals and ideals of the society.