The Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) and Electron Probe Microanalyzer (EPMA) Laboratory is open for use by those at the University of Nevada, Reno, other universities and industry. The facility offers characterization of minerals, metals, and other solids through high-resolution imaging (SE, BSE, CL), microstructural analyses (EBSD), and non-destructive high-resolution chemical analyses (EDS, WDS). Our new NSF-funded field-emission EPMA (JEOL JXA iHP200F) was the first to be installed in the U.S. and is equipped with 5 WDS spectrometers, a hyperspectral CL detector (xCLent), a Thermo UltraDry EDS, and runs Probe for EPMA and Probe Image software packages.
- FE-EPMA (JEOL JXA-iHP200F)
- FE-SEM (JEOL JSM 7100FT)
- WSEM (JEOL JSM 6010LA)
- Leica EM ACE600 sputter coater
- EMS 150T sputter coater
- High resolution imaging/stitching
- Large area EBSD mapping
- Hyperspectral and panchromatic CL
- Quantitative WDS mapping
- Large area automated particle search
- Combined quantitative EDS-WDS point analyses
- Trace-element thermometry
- MAN background analyses
Email Joel DesOrmeau for more information, or call (775) 784-6054.