The Mackay School of Earth Sciences and Engineering strives to attract motivated young men and women to pursue rewarding careers available through its earth science and engineering majors.
Due to close ties with industry and a generous network of alumni and friends, there are a number of School-specific scholarships. New and continuing students can qualify, on a competitive basis, for these scholarships beyond the University and the Millennium scholarships.
To be considered:
- Please apply to the University and be accepted by February 1 of each year and indicate Geography, Geology, Geological Engineering, Geophysics, Hydrogeology, Metallurgical Engineering or Mining Engineering as your major.
- There is no separate Mackay scholarship application.
- Your information will be forwarded from the University's Scholarship Office to the College of Science and to Mackay for scholarship consideration.
- Scholarships are merit-based and range from $500 to $7,500 a year.
- For continuing students, please complete the on-line scholarship application on the MyNevada website by February 1 of each year, and maintain satisfactory progress in your major to remain competitive.
- Some scholarships are need-based, so completing the FAFSA each year by March 1 is highly recommended.
Barrick Gold North America and Newmont Mining Corporation Scholarships
To encourage more young men and women to enter careers related to mining and to ensure the availability of qualified geological, metallurgical and mining engineers for the future, there are scholarships specifically for students in our engineering programs. These scholarships come from Barrick Gold North America and Newmont Mining Corporation, both major mining companies in Nevada. As with all Mackay scholarships, there is no separate application and new students will automatically be considered for these prestigious scholarship awards.
Students reaching their junior and senior years can apply for third tier scholarships that are administered outside the University by professional societies and organizations. As we learn about these new and upcoming scholarships, we will email what information we have to the appropriate majors and also post it to our Facebook page.