The university values all of its students, faculty, staff and their families who participate in this learning community in varying circumstances. Pack Provisions, formerly known as the ASUN Food Pantry, strives to support all members of the University of Nevada, Reno with the daily resources they need to ensure success. This mission is carried out by providing access to perishable and non-perishable foods, meals on campus, school supplies, hygiene items and more. Further, Pack Provisions can direct visitors to a variety of other helpful resources on and off campus.
In a 2018 campus survey conducted by the ASUN Center for Student Engagement, the Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement and the Office of Student Persistence Research, 22% of all University of Nevada students indicated food insecurity (inconsistent or insufficient access to food). This is consistent with national trends at other college campuses. Many students struggle to get enough to eat, yet do not utilize our program or other resources available to them. If you ever struggle to afford all daily necessities, you are not alone. Help us fight hunger and food insecurity on campus! See below for how you can utilize Pack Provisions.
How it Works
To visit and utilize Pack Provisions, come to the Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union Building during the hours listed below with your Wolf Card. You will be asked to fill out a short informational form and then you can pick out whatever you need. You can also email us to set up an appointment.
Pack Provisions is located in the ASUN Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. We have a window that is staffed by student volunteers, but even when no student volunteer is available you can ask the Center for Student Engagement Front Desk staff for assistance.
Fall and Spring Semester Hours
- Monday-Thursdays: 8am to 8pm
- Fridays: 8am to 5pm
- Saturdays: 10am to 2pm
Winter, Spring and Summer Break Hours
- Monday-Fridays: 8am to 5pm
Mobile Monday is an initiative created to provide a monthly farmer's market style event to the campus, allowing students to receive fresh produce for free, hosted from noon to 3pm in either Hilliard Plaza or the KC Rotunda. Along with providing students daily essentials and helping meet their basic food needs, our program is dedicated to making sure students have access to healthy options. These events also provide students with the educational opportunity to receive information from the Student Health Center, SNAP Outreach workers from the Food Bank of Northern, and our campus farming group, Desert Farming Initiative.
September 9, 2019 - Hilliard Plaza
October 7, 2019 - Hilliard Plaza
November 18, 2019 - KC Rotunda
December 9, 2019 - KC Rotunda
February 6, 2020 - KC Rotunda
April 6, 2020 - Hilliard Plaza
May 4, 2020 - Hilliard Plaza
How You Can Help
Our program relies on student volunteers to provide the highest quality and most accessible service to our campus community.
Volunteers are held to the same moral and ethical standards as Pack Provisions staff. Volunteers are required to keep all information about visitors confidential.
Here's what we're looking for in volunteers:
- Enthusiasm for helping others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Superb customer service skills.
Volunteers help Pack Provisions meet our goals! Additional responsibilities will depend on the present need but can consist of:
- Meeting with students and facilitating Pack Provisions services.
- Organizing and sorting food pantry.
- Tabling to promote program awareness.
- Special projects including outreach, communications, research and programming.
We ask that volunteers commit to volunteering 3 hours each week for the duration of the semester. We try to be consistent in our hours so students, faculty and staff can access the service.
A big part of what Pack Provisions provides to the university community is through donations. If you have any food or hygiene items, you can bring them to the Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union.
Pack Provisions accepts financial donations, which help significantly in our mission of serving as many students, faculty and staff as possible. To make an online donation using a credit card, follow the instructions below:
- Visit the University Marketplace Website
- Select "ASUN Pack Provisions/Food Pantry PG18279"
- Complete all required information*
*Please note: Delivery address is the same as billings address for gifts.
Host a Drive
Many of our resources come from donations. We encourage clubs, organizations and university departments to consider our program when planning donation drives of food, toiletry items or school supplies. Donated resources will stay and support members of the university community. Because we are a small program with limited space, any excess donations that we cannot use will be donated to a local organization of your choosing. Here are some examples of how Pack Provisions can support your donation drive:
- Providing donation bins decorated with our publicity for your organization to set up in locations on campus or at your event.
- We will help promote your drive through existing Center for Student Engagement channels such as social media and newsletters. (Be aware that this does not include ASUN's Inkblot graphic design or video services.)
- If your drive is taking place at an event, we can send a representative with information about our service to accept the donation.
Pack Provisions has received substantial support from organizations who help our program provide the best service possible to the university community. We would like to recognize the following groups - we appreciate your contributions to our program!
- College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources
- Desert Farming Initiative
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Greater Nevada Credit Union
- Nevada Wolf Shop
- Residence Hall Association
- Residential Life, Housing and Food Service
- Student Services Division
- The Office of the Associate Dean of Students
- The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
- Daughter's Café