The university values all of its students, faculty, staff and their families who participate in this learning community in varying circumstances. Pack Provisions, formerly known as the ASUN Food Pantry, strives to support all members of the University of Nevada, Reno with the daily resources they need to ensure success. This mission is carried out by providing access to perishable and non-perishable foods, meals on campus, school supplies, hygiene items and more. Further, Pack Provisions can direct visitors to a variety of other helpful resources on and off campus.
In a 2016 campus survey conducted by the ASUN Center for Student Engagement, the Office of Service-Learning & Civic Engagement and the Office of Student Persistence Research, 21% of all University of Nevada students indicated food insecurity (inconsistent or insufficient access to food). This is consistent with national trends at other college campuses. Many students struggle to get enough to eat, yet do not utilize our program or other resources available to them. If you ever struggle to afford all daily necessities, you are not alone. Help us fight hunger and food insecurity on campus! See below for how you can utilize Pack Provisions.
How it Works
To visit and utilize Pack Provisions, come to the Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union Building during the hours listed below with your Wolf Card. You will be asked to fill out a short informational form and then you can pick out whatever you need. You can also email us to set up an appointment. To expedite your visit - complete the Pack Provisions request form in advance.
Pack Provisions is located in the ASUN Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union. We have a window that is staffed by student volunteers, but even when no student volunteer is available you can ask the Center for Student Engagement Front Desk staff for assistance.
The Center for Student Engagement is open during fall and spring semesters Monday-Friday, 8am-8pm and Saturday 10am-2pm. During winter, spring and summer breaks, the Center for Student Engagement is open Monday-Thursday, 12:00 pm-5:00 pm.
Along with providing students daily essentials and helping meet their basic food needs, our program is dedicated to making sure students have access to healthy options. Mobile Monday is an initiative created to provide a monthly farmer's market style event to the campus, allowing students to receive fresh produce for free. These events also provide students with the educational opportunity to receive information from the Student Health Center, SNAP Outreach workers from the Food Bank of Northern, and our campus farming group, Desert Farming Initiative.
- February 12, 2018 @ MIKC Rotunda, 12:00PM - 3:00PM
- March 12, 2018 @ MIKC Rotunda, 12:00PM - 3:00PM
- April 9, 2018 @ MIKC Rotunda or Hilliard Plaza, TBA 12:00PM - 3:00PM
- May 7, 2018 @ Hilliard Plaza, 12:00PM - 3:00PM
Hunger Action Month
September is Hunger Action Month! Throughout the month, Pack Provisions strives to raise awareness and provide educational programming on the issue of food insecurity in Nevada, and nationwide. This September 2017, along with our monthly Mobile Monday event, Pack Provisions will host a week of passive programming. A "Dream Board" will be set up in the walkway of the MIKC, allowing passersby to participate in a discussion about food insecurity, by sharing their experiences, and hopes, regarding how to end the global issue of hunger. Stop by and leave a comment on the board throughout the week of September 12th - 15th
- Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week
- Documentary Screenings
Please check back for updates and details on future events and programs.
How You Can Help
Our program relies on student volunteers to provide the highest quality and most accessible service to our campus community.
Volunteers are held to the same moral and ethical standards as Pack Provisions staff. Volunteers are required to keep all information about visitors confidential.
Here's what we're looking for in volunteers:
- Enthusiasm for helping others.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Superb customer service skills.
Volunteers help Pack Provisions meet our goals! Additional responsibilities will depend on the present need but can consist of:
- Meeting with students and facilitating Pack Provisions services.
- Organizing and sorting food pantry.
- Tabling to promote program awareness.
- Special projects including outreach, communications, research and programming.
We ask that volunteers commit to volunteering 3 hours each week for the duration of the semester. We try to be consistent in our hours so students, faculty and staff can access the service.
A big part of what Pack Provisions provides to the university community is through donations. If you have any food, hygiene, or clothing items, you can bring them to the Center for Student Engagement on the 3rd floor of the Joe Crowley Student Union.
Pack Provisions accepts financial donations, which help significantly in our mission of serving as many students, faculty and staff as possible. To make an online donation using a credit card, follow the instructions below:
- Visit the University Marketplace Website
- Select "University-Wide Initiatives"
- Select "ASUN Club Account"
- Add Amount
- State that the donation will go to "Pack Provisions"
Host a Drive
Many of our resources come from donations. We encourage clubs, organizations and university departments to consider our program when planning donation drives of food, toiletry items or school supplies. Donated resources will stay and support members of the university community. Because we are a small program with limited space, any excess donations that we cannot use will be donated to a local organization of your choosing. Here are some examples of how Pack Provisions can support your donation drive:
- Providing donation bins decorated with our publicity for your organization to set up in locations on campus or at your event.
- We will help promote your drive through existing Center for Student Engagement channels such as social media and newsletters. (Be aware that this does not include ASUN's Inkblot graphic design or video services.)
- If your drive is taking place at an event, we can send a representative with information about our service to accept the donation.
Fill out our Food Drive Request Form to Host a Drive.
Pack Provisions has received substantial support from organizations who help our program provide the best service possible to the university community. We would like to recognize the following groups - we appreciate your contributions to our program!
- College of Agriculture, Biotechnology and Natural Resources
- Desert Farming Initiative
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada
- Nevada Wolf Shop
- Residence Hall Association
- Residential Life, Housing and Food Service
- Student Services Division
- The Office of the Associate Dean of Students
- The Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Brittany Brown, Student Director, Pack Provisions
Chris Partridge, Coordinator, Student Engagement