Food and Housing Services

ASUN Pack Provisions (775) 784-6589

Pack Provisions strives to support all members of the University of Nevada, Reno to achieve academic success with the access to daily resources. This mission is carried out by eliminating barriers University community members may have, while experiencing financial hardship. Pack Provisions provides social wellness through perishable and non-perishable foods, grocery funds, school supplies, hygiene items and more.

Casa de Vida (775) 329-1070

Casa de Vida is a non-profit organization with the mission of providing young pregnant women with a safe home, caring staff, 24-hour supervision and assistance, nutritious meals, pregnancy and childbirth education, social service assistance, and so much more.

Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada (775) 322-7073

The Immigration Assistance Program aims to provide high quality, low-cost or pro bono legal immigration services for foreign-born individuals and their families who seek to obtain or extend lawful immigration status or who are seeking citizenship in the United States.

Center of Independent Living (775) 353-3599

Centers for independent living (CIL) are community-based, cross-disability, non-profit organizations designed and operated by people with disabilities. CILs are unique in that they operate according to a strict philosophy of consumer control, wherein people with all types of disabilities directly govern and staff the organization.

Food Bank of Northern Nevada (775) 331-3663

The Food Bank of Northern Nevada provides food for families in need through more than 145 partner agencies across northern Nevada and the eastern slope of the Sierra in California.

Nevada Rural Housing Authority (775) 887-1795

The Nevada Rural Housing Authority’s mission is to promote, provide and finance affordable housing opportunities for all rural Nevadans by working with a consortium of public, private and community partners.

Project Restart Homeless Service Center (775) 324-2622

ReStart is a Volunteers of America program that offers both clinical and non-clinical services in an effort to reduce homelessness and increase self-sufficiency for eligible individuals and families. The services include mental health services, case management, outreach to the homeless community, and housing services to qualified individuals and families.

Silver State Council Fair Housing (775) 324-0990

Silver State Fair Housing Council works to ensure equal housing opportunity for all residents of Nevada. Specifically, SSFHC advocates for fair housing by providing a comprehensive program of outreach, education and enforcement opportunities. By addressing the needs of housing consumers, housing providers and local governments, SSFHC works to break down barriers to equal housing opportunity and build opportunities for community members to relate to each other as neighbors.

St. Vincent's Food Pantry (775) 786-5266

The St. Vincent’s Food Pantry is the largest food pantry in northern Nevada, serving more than 15,000 people each month. We offer non-perishable, canned and packaged food products to individuals and families in need at no cost.

Washoe Affordable Housing Corporation (775) 334-3199

Nonprofit corporation created by the Reno Housing Authority. WAHC administers affordable housing programs that assist low-income individuals and families across the state of Nevada.

Nevada Housing Division (775) 687-2236

The Nevada Housing Division (NHD), a division of the Department of Business and Industry, was created by the Nevada Legislature in 1975 to solve a very real problem: a shortage of safe and decent housing for individuals and families of low and moderate income. We pride ourselves on helping revitalize neighborhoods and strengthen communities throughout the state.


Immigration and DACA Services

The Nevada Attorney General’s Office warns Nevadans to be on alert for immigration scams. Before engaging anyone for legal assistance, you should do your research by using a number of free resources to make sure the person is properly licensed. Don’t be fooled by notaries, paralegals, or document preparers, who claim they can provide legal help. While Notaries Public may perform duties of attorneys in Spanish-speaking countries, those in the United States cannot practice law, give legal advice, or accept fees for legal advice. Only an attorney can provide legal advice and represent you in court. An attorney must have a law degree and pass a test prior to being licensed.

ASUN Legal Services (775) 784-6132

ASUN Legal Services is a student run, student funded organization. For more than thirty years, members of the university community with legal problems or queries have had access to free legal help and referral. ASUN Legal Services has an attorney on staff to aid students with their legal matters. Although the attorney cannot represent students in court, guidance can still be provided on nearly any legal problem.

Catholic Charities of Northern Nevada (775) 322-7073

The Immigration Assistance Program aims to provide high quality, low-cost or pro bono legal immigration services for foreign-born individuals and their families who seek to obtain or extend lawful immigration status or who are seeking citizenship in the United States.

Court Appointed Special Advocates CASA (775) 328-3298

The Washoe CASA Foundation is to support the Washoe County CASA Program through fundraising, advocacy, outreach, and community awareness.

Governor’s Office for New Americans (702) 486-0800

The Governor’s Office for New Americans (ONA) was created through Senate Bill 538 to promote opportunities for immigrants, refugees and aspiring Americans to thrive in Nevada. By concentrating on the civic and economic integration of new and aspiring Americans, ONA seeks to foster opportunities for these populations to ascend the economic ladder.

Nevada Legal Services (775) 284-3491

A nonprofit organization providing free legal services to low-income residents of Nevada.

Progressive Leadership Alliance of Nevada (775) 800-1851

The Citizenship & Immigration Program by PLAN serves the immigrant community of Northern Nevada. Assisting individuals in immigration proceedings before the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or the Executive Office for Immigration Review.

Tu Casa Latina (775) 432-9929

Nonprofit organization geared towards providing humanitarian forms of relief for women, men, and children who are victims of crimes, domestic violence, abuse and trafficking in northern Nevada.

Volunteer Attorneys for Rural Nevadans (775) 883-8278

A local non-profit that provides free legal services for victims of domestic violence and low-income immigrant residents in Nevada's 15 rural counties.

Washoe Legal Services (775) 329 -5509

A non-profit legal aid organization founded in 1965 that provides legal assistance, including assistance to undocumented students with DACA.


Academic Programs at the University of Nevada, Reno

GEAR UP (775) 682-8944

Provide continual academic support to first generation college students throughout their middle and high school years, preparing them to enter and succeed in college.

First in the Pack (775) 784-6044

First in the Pack is a college student retention program designed to develop the necessary skills and agency in first-generation and income-qualified students. The cornerstone of the program is First in the Pack peer mentors who are generally upper-class students that build positive and trusting relationships with program participants to provide the support necessary to succeed in college.

McNair Scholars (775) 784-6044

Designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education.

Nevada Undergraduate Research Award (775) 682-6634

Undergraduate Research provides competitive grants available to all University undergraduates through the Nevada Undergraduate Research Award. There are four categories for submission, STEM, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts.

Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (775) 784-6544

This program provides student recipients with an award of $6,000 as a summer student worker, and each mentor receives $1,000 to defray the cost of lab supplies. This program expects students to be engaged in full-time research activity during the 10-week research period.

Upward Bound (775) 784-4978

Provides first-generation, income-qualified high school students in the state of Nevada with free college preparatory services and support to develop the skills and knowledge essential for successful admission, persistence and completion of postsecondary education.

TRiO First in the pack (775) 784-6044

TRIO First in the Pack (FITP) designed to supplement existing federally funded first-generation support programs at the University of Nevada, Reno.

TRiO Scholars (775) 784-6044

The TRiO Scholars Program provides qualified undergraduates with the academic assistance and support necessary to successfully complete a baccalaureate degree.


Employment Services

Nevada Career Studio (775) 682-7114

The Nevada Career Studio creates connections between employers and students to support talent recruitment, foster workforce development and promote career exploration. We are here to help you engage with students through campus visits, hiring expos, internship development and online job postings.

Nevada JobConnect (775) 284-9520

Nevada JobConnect oversees and provides workforce development services to employers and job seekers of Nevada. For job seekers, Nevada JobConnect offers career development information, job search resources, training programs and as appropriate, unemployment benefits. They are also your source for education and training resources. With information on apprenticeship programs, approved training providers, disabled worker training resources, student training resources, colleges, universities and technical schools, and more.

Resources for Hispanic Americans in the Workplace (254) 294-7742

This guide covers your workplace rights as a Hispanic American, examples of discrimination on the job, what you should do if you experience workplace discrimination, and resources that can help you learn more.

University of Nevada, Reno Human Resources (775) 784-6082

Human Resources at the University of Nevada, Reno strives to provide excellence in service to current, future, and former employees, and supports the University in realizing and sustaining a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming environment for all University community members.


Financial Aid

American Association of University Women Tahoe-Nevada Branch

A community that breaks through educational and economic barriers so that all women and girls have a fair chance. They offer scholarships for college-bound high school students.

Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship (800) 852-2141, Ext 1

The U.S. Department of State’s Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship is a grant program that enables students of limited financial means to study or intern abroad, thereby gaining skills critical to our national security and economic competitiveness.

Community Foundation of Western Nevada (775) 333-5499

Collection of scholarships for students in Northern Nevada.

Financial Aid for International and Undocumented Students (775) 784-4666

Provides opportunities for undocumented students to receive financial aid (institutional aid, State of Nevada, Private sector).

Financial Resources for Hispanics and Latinos (775) 432-2007

There are a number of obstacles that prevent the Hispanic and Latino community from being able to grow their savings and achieve their financial goals. Learning to save, predatory lending practices and poor or insufficient credit history are just some of the major barriers that prevent the community from reaching financial stability. When each of these factors compounded, many find themselves in a situation where they are unable to invest their money and create generational wealth. This guide provides guidance on how to make better financial decisions to reach their goals.

Horatio Alger Association (844) 422-4200

Horatio Alger Association Members and Friends have funded need-based college scholarships for low-income youth to pursue their dreams through higher education. The Association supports students pursuing career and technical certificates and degrees, bachelor’s degrees, and graduate studies.

La Unidad Latina Foundation Scholarship

National Scholarship program for college- Latinx students.

League of United Latin American Citizens (202) 835-9646

LNESC and LULAC established the LULAC National Scholarship Fund (LNSF) to help youth in underserved communities make the dream of college enrollment a reality.

NBCUniversal/LNESC Scholarship

The NBCUniversal/LNESC Scholarship was created to help Latinx students pursue careers in media and entertainment. The scholarship of $5,000 each is available to 10 college sophomores and juniors, all of whom must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. Students can major in anything but should have an interest in working in the media and entertainment industries.

Nevada Money Mentors (775) 682-8102

Provides resources for students on how to manage their money.

Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Scholarships (323) 725-3970

Hispanic students interested in STEM programs can take advantage of a variety of scholarships through the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE). The GPA requirements for each scholarship vary, ranging from a minimum of 2.75 to 3.0, and some require full-time membership in the SHPE.


LGBTQ Community Resources

Our Center (775) 642-3720

Reno’s LGBTQ+ Center: provides northern Nevada’s LGBTQ community with access to advocacy, support, educational programs, services and resources.

Trans-Specific Resources

The Law Offices of Andriea Aden (775) 622-9245

Does free legal name changes for transgender individuals, non-binary folks, or anyone who would like to change their legal name to better match their gender identity.

Associate Attorney Mikyla Miller is happy to work with University of Nevada, Reno faculty, staff and students.

Transgender Allies Group (TAG) (775) 203-5759

A network of allies providing education, resources, counseling, advocacy and support of transgender individuals and families in order to ensure equality, integration, and an exceptional quality of life for all transgender people in Northern Nevada.



Alma Clinic (775) 683-3833

Health care for the whole family; with or without insurance. Urgent Care, Primary Care for all ages.

Carson City Health & Human Services 775) 887-2195

Committed to providing quality health care services and referrals to meet all of our clients' needs. Through education and service, we hope to promote health and impact the lives of those living in the community.

Community Health Alliance (775) 329-6300

Provides a wide range of services, including medical, pediatric dental and behavioral health care. Community health alliance, also provide assistance and direction, whether you are insured, uninsured or underinsured.

Nevada Health Centers (775) 786-4673

Provides a wide range of services, including medical, pediatric dental and behavioral health care. Community health alliance, also provide assistance and direction, whether you are insured, uninsured or underinsured.

Northern Nevada HOPES (775) 329-6300

Northern Nevada HOPES provides affordable, high-quality, medical, behavioral health, and support services for all.

University of Nevada, Reno Outreach Clinic (775) 391-0632

The Student Outreach Clinic offers free medical attention on a variety of health topics to the uninsured or underinsured community in Northern Nevada. Medical students gain hands-on experience under the direct supervision of licensed physicians to provide access to healthcare to individuals who would otherwise go without.

University of Nevada, Reno Student Health Center (775) 784-6598

Provides accessible, high quality health care and education to our diverse student community and to promote lifelong physical and emotional wellness.

Washoe County Health District (775) 328-2299

Community and Clinical Health Services focuses on community and individual disease prevention, education and wellness. The programs within CCHS are: Chronic Disease Prevention, Immunizations, Maternal and Child Health, Tuberculosis, WIC and Sexual Health, which includes Family Planning, HIV and STD services.

Women’s Health Center of Reno (775) 870-1521

This center has as a mission to deliver the highest quality obstetrical and gynecological care in a compassionate and caring environment.


Mental Health Specific Resources

American Addiction Center (877) 651-3768 aims to inform parents and family members of those struggling with addiction, as well as the people suffering from an addiction, about the options available for treating it. With a library of original content, as well as content from our sister site, and a national directory of teen resources, addiction therapists, treatment centers and sober living providers, they educate in simple language.

Nevada’s Recovery and Prevention Community NRAP (775) 784-6224

NRAP provides an environment of nurturing support and peer connections for students recovering from substance and behavioral addictions and students choosing a substance-free lifestyle.

The Downing Clinic (775) 682-5515

The Downing Clinic provides low-cost, mental health counseling services to University of Nevada, Reno students and those in the Reno community. Master’s level student interns provide individual, couples, family counseling and play therapy under the supervision of fully licensed individuals to ensure quality client care.

University of Nevada, Reno Counseling Services (775) 784-4648

Counseling Services provides personalized culturally-responsive mental health services, training, and outreach to the University community. By doing so, we promote an inclusive learning environment supportive of mental health, diversity and social justice, as well as student personal growth and academic success.

Victim of Crime Treatment Center (775) 682-8684

The Victims of Crime Treatment Center is supported by the Federal Justice Department Victims of Crime grant to the State of Nevada Division of Child and Family Services. Our services are provided at no cost.


Dental Health Specific Resources

TMCC Dental Hygiene Clinic (775) 673-8247

The TMCC Dental Hygiene Program's Dental Clinic is primarily a teaching clinic, and therefore, patients receiving dental hygiene care will be participating in the teaching program. Patients will be accepted only if they are considered suitable as teaching cases. Treatment will be performed by a student and will be supervised by a dentist and faculty.

Nevada Dental Association (775) 337-0296

The Nevada Dental Association provides Low Income Resources to assist in finding a dentist in Nevada who provides sliding scale fees for dental treatment. They are in no way directly affiliated with the NDA, neither does this Association maintain information such as fees, hours of operation or appointment availability.


Sexual Health

Community Health Alliance (775) 329-6300

Community Health Alliance receives Title X federal funding, ensuring every person access to basic, preventative reproductive health care. This includes wellness exams, cervical and breast cancer screenings, birth control, contraception education, testing and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STIs), as well as HIV testing. They can also assist you in family planning and birth spacing.

Northern Nevada Hopes (775) 786-4673

The Change Point Clinic at Northern Nevada HOPES is home to our sexual health services, including sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing, PrEP and PEP for HIV prevention. They offer inclusive, compassionate care for all members of our community, embrace diversity and advocate for medically underserved groups.

Planned Parenthood (775) 688-5555

Planned Parenthood is one of the nation’s leading providers of high quality, affordable health care, and the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With or without insurance, you can always go to them for your health care. has created a comprehensive resource that features helpful information about STDs in Sparks, as well as a directory of local organizations that provide a wide range of health care services to help stop the spread. They are passionate about changing the dialogue around sexual health and working to ensure people have access to the information and health care that they need.

Washoe County Health District (775) 328-2400

Washoe County Health District (WCHD) offers free to low-cost clinical services to keep the community healthy from Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) as well as information about clinical services, teen health and information about STIs/HIV.


Protective Services

Awaken INC (775) 393-9183

Awaken is a local faith-based non-profit organization whose mission is to increase awareness and education surrounding the issue of commercial sexual exploitation and to provide housing and restoration for its victims.

Child Protective Services (775) 785-8600

The Washoe County Human Services Agency’s (HSA) Child Protective Services (CPS) is required by Nevada law to investigate reports of suspected child abuse and neglect. The focus of CPS is to protect children from harm and to make sure that children live in safe environments. Actions taken by HSA are determined by the family`s situation and efforts are made to help families overcome problems. However, in some circumstances, a child may be at risk and must be removed from their homes to ensure their safety.

The Downing Clinic (775) 682-5515

The Downing Clinic provides low-cost, mental health counseling services to UNR students and those in the Reno community. Master’s level student interns provide individual, couples, family counseling, and play therapy under the supervision of fully licensed individuals to ensure quality client care.

Safe Embrace (775) 322-3466

Safe Embrace operates the largest and most inclusive safe house in the Reno-Sparks area, but we are so much more than that. Whether it’s counseling, housing assistance, emergency transportation and shelter, court, or support, we are here to walk victims of domestic abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking through any step of the process of getting safe and becoming a survivor.

Tu Casa Latina (775) 432-9929

Nonprofit organization geared towards providing humanitarian forms of relief for women, men, and children who are victims of crimes, domestic violence, abuse and trafficking in northern Nevada.

Victims of Violent Crime (775) 687-8428

The Nevada Department of Administration runs a Victims of Crime Program, which provides information on victims’ rights and services.

Washoe County Sheriff's Victims Services Unit (775) 328-3210

The Washoe County District Attorney's Victim/Witness Assistance Center is happy to provide information and support for victims of crime throughout the prosecution process.

Washoe County VINE (888) 268-8463

VINE is a free, anonymous, 24-hour, computer-based telephone service provided by the State of Nevada. VINE allows victims of crime two important features: information and notification.



Paws 4 a Cure

Non-profit organization that provides financial assistance throughout the United States to those who cannot afford veterinary care for their beloved furry family members. Paws 4 A Cure helps dogs and cats with all illnesses and injuries.

Pets of the Homeless (775) 841-7463

Feeding Pets of the Homeless is the first and one of the few national animal organizations focused on feeding and providing emergency care to pets of the homeless.

SPCA Northern Nevada (775) 324-7773

Todd's Medical Fund provides financial assistance to those who cannot otherwise afford necessary veterinary services.



Early Childhood Education Pre-K program (775) 321-3225, ext. 2

The Washoe County School District offers free pre-k programs for all children in Washoe County to high quality, developmentally appropriate programs with qualified teachers. Families need to call the ECE Enrollment Specialist at 775-321-3225, ext. 2 for enrollment information and sign up.

Department of Family-School Partnerships (775) 789-4680

The WCSD department of Family-School Partnership provides resources to support family involvement in student learning and academic progress, literacy, online learning, social-emotional learning, attendance, seeking financial aid for higher education, and much more.

Family Resource Center (775) 353-5733

The FRC is a safe and friendly place to go for different types of resources for families seeking assistance. The FRC serves anyone who lives in the surrounding community, including children, teens, parents, single adults, and seniors. There are no income qualifications to use the Center, although some referrals to other services may be limited according to income guidelines.

RiSE Academy for Adult Achievement (775) 337-9939

WCSD’s RiSE Academy provides innovative and flexible programs in a supportive culture to personalize the educational experience for adults. Students graduate empowered to rise to their full potential with the knowledge and skills to be college and career ready. They offer Adult High School Diploma programs, high school equivalency and English language classes free.

University of Nevada, Reno (775) 784-1110

The University of Nevada, Reno is a public land-grant research university in Reno, Nevada. It is the state's flagship public university and primary land grant institution.

Truckee Meadows Community College (775) 673-7111

Truckee Meadows Community College is an institution of higher education where one can earn a two-year college degree, study the credits needed to transfer to a university to complete a bachelor's degree, obtain vocational training, learn English as a second language, or take classes for fun.

Desert Research Institute (775) 673-7300

Desert Research Institute is the nonprofit research campus of the Nevada System of Higher Education and sister property of the University of Nevada, Reno, and the organization that oversees all publicly supported higher education in the U.S. state of Nevada.

Western Nevada College (775) 445-3000

Western Nevada College is a public college with its main campus in Carson City, Nevada and additional campuses in Fallon and Minden.


University of Nevada, Reno Enrollment Services

Admissions and Records (775) 784-4700

The Office of Admissions and Records serves students, faculty, staff and alumni of the University of Nevada, Reno through registration, record keeping, course management and academic support.

Cashier Office (775) 784-6915

The Cashier's Office is responsible for student fee assessment and collection, distribution of related fees, generation of 1098-T Tuition Statements for qualified tuition and related expenses, and the refunding of credit balances.

Office of International Students and Scholars (775) 784-6874

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) provides information and advice regarding visa categories, international student admission, employment options, and cultural adjustment. Programs and activities are offered that foster intercultural understanding and enhance the skills needed to be successful in an increasingly interconnected world.

Student Financial Aid (775) 784-4666

There are several sources of financial aid to help students pay for their college education. This aid can come from the federal and state governments, the University, private sources and more.

Veterans Services (775) 682-5935

The Veteran Services Office provides a wide range of support and referral services for all undergraduate and graduate students who are: veterans currently serving either active duty, Reserve or National Guard; vocational rehabilitation and qualified dependents.