Our institutional need-based funds are generally distributed based on financial need determined by the FAFSA. The FAFSA can only be filed by citizens or eligible non-citizens so we are pleased to offer an annual institutional calculation to determine financial need for our non-FAFSA eligible students: The Institutional Methodology for FAFSA-Ineligible Students.
This calculation will be used to determine eligibility by demonstrating financial need. The institutional calculation assesses ability - not willingness - to contribute as an estimated family contribution (EFC). This is similar to the criteria used by the U.S. Department of Education with the FAFSA.
- In cases of very high financial need students may receive up to $3,000 in Access Grant funds.
- Nevada residents may be eligible to receive up to $9,500 through the Nevada Guarantee program.
- In addition, undergraduate DACA students may be awarded institutional non-need work study funds, which can aid in obtaining an on-campus position for students with a valid work permit.
Application process for institutional aid
In order to complete the application, you must be admitted to a degree-seeking program at the University of Nevada, Reno and have a valid NSHE ID. For priority consideration, the Institutional Methodology for FAFSA-Ineligible Students must be submitted by February 15 each year.
F-1/J-1 international student visa holders are not eligible to receive institutional funding in their first academic year. If the student has financial need (as determined from the Institutional Methodology form), the student will receive an offer email showing the award amount and specific requirements to receive the award(s) in March.
University of Nevada, Reno merit-based scholarships
- New Students: Based on a holistic review of the scholarship application, admission application and Institutional Methodology application. Complete all admission requirements by February 15.
- Current Students: Primarily based on University of Nevada, Reno GPA. Complete the Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarship Application in MyNEVADA between October 1 and February 15.