Financial aid for international, DACA and undocumented students

University of Nevada, Reno values the enrichment that comes from having diverse and talented students. We recognize that many need financial assistance in order to participate in higher education. DACA, international and undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid in the form of Pell Grants or federal student loans.

However, there are funds from institutional, state and private sources that are accessible to them if certain requirements are met.

Funding options

  • Institutional aid

    Our institutional need-based funds are generally distributed based on financial need determined by the FAFSA. The FAFSA can only be filed by citizens or eligible non-citizens so we are pleased to offer an annual institutional calculation to determine financial need for our non-FAFSA eligible students: The Institutional Methodology for FAFSA-Ineligible Students.

    This calculation will be used to determine eligibility by demonstrating financial need. The institutional calculation assesses ability - not willingness - to contribute as an estimated family contribution (EFC). This is similar to the criteria used by the U.S. Department of Education with the FAFSA.

    • In cases of very high financial need students may receive up to $3,000 in Access Grant funds.
    • Nevada residents may be eligible to receive up to $8,600 through the Nevada Guarantee program.
    • In addition, undergraduate DACA students may be awarded institutional non-need work study funds, which can aid in obtaining an on-campus position for students with a valid work permit.

    Application process for institutional aid

    In order to complete the application, you must be admitted to a degree-seeking program at the University of Nevada, Reno and have a valid NSHE ID. For priority consideration, the Institutional Methodology for FAFSA-Ineligible Students must be submitted by February 1st each year.

    F-1/J-1 international student visa holders are not eligible to receive institutional funding in their first academic year. If the student has financial need (as determined from the Institutional Methodology form), the student will receive an offer email showing the award amount and specific requirements to receive the award(s) in March.

    University of Nevada, Reno merit-based scholarships

    • New Students: Based on high school GPA and ACT/SAT test scores. Complete all admission requirements by February 1st.
    • Current Students: Primarily based on University of Nevada, Reno GPA. Complete the Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarship Application in MyNEVADA between October 1st and February 1st.
  • State of Nevada

    The Millennium Scholarship is a a state of Nevada scholarship available to students who graduated from a Nevada high school and meet the GPA or test score requirement. New students must complete the Acknowledgement of Award on the Millennium Scholarship website.

  • Private sector

    Private loans

    DACA students are eligible to apply for private loans with a creditworthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. For more information about private loans contact the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at (775) 784-4666.

    External scholarships

    Scholarships are offered each year by a variety of non-university affiliated community and private organizations. Learn more about external scholarship opportunities.

Additional resources for undocumented and DACA students

For additional information or resources, please contact Social Services Coordinator Jahahi Mazariego, LSW.

Jahahi Mazariego, LSW
Joe Crowley Student Union
Room 303-C
Phone: (775) 784-1547