Applying for financial aid

February 15 is the priority filing deadline for maximum consideration for financial aid. Learn more about applying for financial aid at the University.

The University's priority deadline for maximum financial aid consideration is February 15. Financial aid is disbursed on a first-come, first-served basis, so apply early. The University's federal school code for aid is 002568.

Financial aid overview

Financial aid eligibility

In order to be eligible to receive financial aid, you must:

  • Demonstrate financial “need” (except for some loan programs).
  • Be accepted to the University as a degree or certificate student in an eligible program. You may apply for aid before you are accepted; however, aid will not be offered until you have been admitted to the University.
  • Have a high school diploma.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, if applying for federal aid.
  • Have a valid Social Security Number, if applying for federal aid.
  • Be registered with Selective Service, if required.
  • Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • Use student aid only for educational purposes.
  • Not owe a refund on a federal grant or be in default on any federal educational loan.
Federal financial aid for degree applicable courses

Federal Regulations mandate that federal aid cannot be awarded for classes that do not count toward a student's academic program. Learn more about these requirements as you consider financial aid.

Federal financial aid for degree applicable courses

Financial aid verification

Verification is a requirement set forth by the federal government that obliges colleges and universities to verify the data reported by students and their parent(s) on the FAFSA.

Financial aid verification

Student checklist to apply for financial aid

Step 1. Complete your FAFSA or Institutional Methodology form

FAFSA and Institutional Methodology applications open at Submit your FAFSA or Institutional Methodology applications as early as possible.

School code: 002568

Step 2. Complete scholarship application

After applying for admission in MyNEVADA, complete the Graduate and Undergraduate Scholarship Application (GUS).

Step 3. Submit all requested financial documents

Approximately 1/3 of students who complete the FAFSA will be required to submit additional documents to the Office of Financial Aid Office before an offer letter will be extended. If selected, To-Do List items will be placed on the student's MyNEVADA account. Students will also be notified via email.

Step 4. Review your financial aid offer letter

The financial aid offer letter, sent via the student's email, outlines the details of the financial aid awards offered to the student. Awards can be federal, state, institutional or private funds. The letter is also available in the student's Communication Center in MyNEVADA.

Step 5. Apply for Federal Work Study, if eligible

Work study awards subsidize on-campus employment. Work Study is paid out to students in a paycheck every two weeks and not a lump sum.

Step 6. Review your account statement for tuition, fees, room and board

Be sure to review your account for your undergraduate student budget, including tuition, fees, room and board. Complete the Federal Direct Loan process for students and parents planning to borrow.

Step 7. Acknowledge Millennium Scholarship (qualifying Nevada residents)

Acknowledge your Millennium Scholarship on the Nevada Treasurer's website.

Step 8. Pay University bill in MyNEVADA

The final step is to settle your account and pay your University bill in MyNEVADA.

DACA, international and undocumented students

University of Nevada, Reno values the enrichment that comes from having diverse and talented students. We recognize that many need financial assistance in order to participate in higher education. DACA, international and undocumented students are not eligible for federal financial aid in the form of Pell Grants or federal student loans. However, there are funds from institutional, state and private sources that are accessible to them if certain requirements are met.

Financial aid basic questions

  • Am I permitted to receive Federal financial aid from more than one institution at the same time?

    No. Federal Financial aid cannot be received from two different institutions at the same time because you are a regular student, that is, expecting to receive a degree only from one school. Financial aid is administered only by that one school.

    Disbursements are monitored by the U.S. Department of Education Disbursement System. An alert is sent to the colleges to request repayment from the student when repayment by more than one school occurs.

  • Can a student who is not full-time receive financial aid and scholarships?

    We assume that most students intend to enroll full-time. Scholarships require full-time enrollment. Financial aid can be received as a half-time student (6-8 credits) and as three-quarter time (9-11 credits as an undergraduate). The enrollment status reported on the FAFSA is used to make the initial aid offer. Pell Grant and other programs are prorated or may be reduced. If your intended enrollment status has changed you will need to note that change in MyNEVADA.

  • I have already completed my first bachelor’s degree and I am taking classes toward my next bachelor’s degree. What aid is available to me?

    Undergraduates who have already received a bachelor’s degree are eligible for loans while pursuing additional majors or bachelor’s degree(s). This includes students in double major, minor or dual degree programs who have already met the requirements for one of their majors or degrees and are continuing their education toward the additional major, minor or degree. 

  • Do I have to report grants, scholarships or fellowships to the IRS as income?

    Part or all of a grant, scholarship, or fellowship may be taxable even if you do not receive a W-2 form. If you are a degree-seeking student, the amounts you use for expenses other than fees, tuition, and special course fees are taxable (such as room and board and transportation).

    To determine this taxable amount, add up all the grant, scholarship and fellowship awards received in the calendar year, and then subtract all fees, tuition, special course fees, books and supplies expenses. If the remaining amount is a positive number, it must be reported as income. This amount must also be reported on your FAFSA.

  • Where can I look to find information about tax benefits for students?

    The IRS publication 970 can answer your questions.

  • My parents don’t help me with school and they won’t give me their tax information for the FAFSA.

    Generally, a parent's refusal to provide their information is not grounds for independent status approval. Students should refer to the Dependency Status questions on the FAFSA and if they cannot answer yes to at least one question they are considered dependent and must provide parent data.

    If the student has extenuating circumstances that make it impossible and/or unsafe for them to get their parents' information for the FAFSA, they can review the Appeal for Independent Status form which lists all of the documentation requirements.

    Appeals are reviewed weekly by a committee and decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.

  • Why don’t I see any aid listed in MyNEVADA?
    1. Check to see if you are admitted to a degree program.
    2. Check to see that the FAFSA was submitted and the University of Nevada, Reno is listed as a recipient.
    3. Check your To Do List in MyNEVADA for any unresolved financial aid items.
    4. Check to see that you are meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
    5. Allow ten (10) business days from the time these items are updated/completed.