National Merit Scholars
The National Merit is the University's most prestigious scholarship for entering freshman who are National Merit Finalists and who select our University as their first choice with the National Merit Scholarship Corporation before May 1.
This scholarship awards $16,000 annually for four consecutive years of undergraduate study at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Eligibility and criteria
To qualify for this scholarship, students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Submit a complete application for admission to the University of Nevada, Reno by February 1.
- Advance to "Finalist" status (Semifinalists will be notified of their status by National Merit Scholarship Corporation in February).
- Finalists will be asked by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation to select their school of choice. Finalists designating the University of Nevada, Reno as their first choice before May 1 will be offered this scholarship of up to $16,000 per year.
- The scholarship must be formally accepted in writing to the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships by June 1. (775 784-1025 (fax) or MS 0076 Reno, NV 89557
- Finalists must accept admission in MyNEVADA by June 1
- To retain the award, students must maintain a minimum University of Nevada, Reno cumulative GPA of 3.50 and complete 15 credits each fall and spring.
Note: National Merit Scholars are not eligible for need-based grants including, Nevada Guarantee, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), and State Access grants.