McNair Scholars Program
The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at 151 institutions across the United States which is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education.
Joining McNair Scholars Program
Since 2003, the McNair Scholars Program has provided research and academic experiences that support the acquisition of a Ph.D. for first-generation, income-qualified, and underrepresented undergraduates. Ready to join current and past McNair Scholars? Learn about program eligibility, program expectations, and how to apply below.
McNair Scholars Program Mission Statement
The mission of the McNair Scholars Program is to provide research opportunities and other related academic experiences that promote the acquisition of the doctoral degree (Ph.D.) for first generation, low-income, and underrepresented college juniors and seniors in an effort to increase the number of underrepresented persons pursuing teaching, research, and administrative careers in higher education.
McNair Core Values:
- We are fierce advocates for social justice, especially for the poor among us
- We are the safety net for our most vulnerable students
- We pursue professional excellence in the work we do with our students and our colleagues
- We embrace integrity in our work with students, our work with the university, and our work with our funding agency
- We are respectful of our diverse student population, their needs, and their cultural heritage
- We seek harmony in our work life in order to focus our energy on helping students succeed
- We are resilient, determined, and focused on achieving our mission
- We do more with less through collaboration and pooled strengths
- We are humble, realizing that the success of each student is shared across the campus
- We are joyful in our work
- We are awed by the potential of our students to change to world