Call for submissions: A Border-Lines Special Issue on Jotería Arts, Activism and Scholarship
Border-Lines Vol. XIV, a special issue on Jotería Arts, Activism and Scholarship. We are soliciting submissions in the following categories: visual art, poetry, performance art, performative writing, critical review and research essays, creative works, testimonio and more. This special forum is meant to blur genres. We are hoping to publish up to five original art pieces in color.
Call for written submissions
Given our current political and sociocultural context, this special forum seeks to illuminate contemporary concerns for the Jotería community in the following contexts. This is not an exhaustive list, but rather is meant to initiate conversations:
- Jotería visual arts
- Jotería poetry
- Jotería speculative fiction
- Transgender Jotería studies
- Testimonios of Jotería in everyday life
- Pláticas/Interviews with Jotería in everyday life
- Jotería myth, mythology and monstrosity
- Jotería activism and social movement rhetoric
- Jotería critique (short essays or research reports)
- Jotería film, television, or media
- Jotería spirituality
- Jotería health
- Queer ecology
- Decolonial/Indigenous theory and methodology
Manuscripts should adhere to APA style and should be a maximum of 5000 words.
- Include title page with author(s) name, title and affiliations, acknowledgments, abstract of 150 words or less and five keywords.
- Author(s) short biography not exceeding 200 words plus contact information.
- The cover letter should confirm manuscript content is original and unpublished work, not under consideration for any other journal at the time and conflict of interest statement.
- Manuscripts are accepted in English or Spanish; maximum of 5,000 words, plus bibliography. Manuscripts should be submitted in Microsoft Word, double-spaced in 12-point type, Times New Roman, APA Style formatting.
- Creative writing pieces are invited for review. Essays and short stories should not exceed 1,000 words; poems may also be submitted for review. Book reviews on publications related to Chicana/o—Latina/o cultural, political and social issues will be considered for publication and should not exceed 1,500 in length.
- Graphs and images must be submitted as independent files in .EPS or .TIFF format. Images should be 300 dpi/ppi and a minimum of 1200 pixels wide (4 inches).
- Please include a second copy of your manuscript with blocked author information.
Please note: Student submissions are considered for submission.
Submit your manuscript to the LRC and make sure the subject line reads “Jotería Special Forum Submission.”
The timeline for submissions is as follows:
- First submission due December 15, 2021
- Decisions will be made in March 2022
- Accepted manuscript revisions due in May 2022
- Special forum published in August 2022