TRIO First in the Pack (FITP) designed to supplement existing federally funded first-generation support programs at the University of Nevada, Reno.
First-generation students are students in families where neither parent or guardian has graduated from a four-year college or university. Since its creation, the TRIO First in the Pack program has maintained positive outcomes and continuously increased the number of students served. Currently, we are funded as part of former President Marc Johnson's diversity initiative. Our mission is to develop the necessary agency in first-generation students to meet their academic, social, and career goals.
As of September 2020, TRIO First In The Pack has received a federally funded STEM (Science, Technology, Math, Engineering) grant. As a result, funds awarded will support 120 first-generation and/or income-qualified students pursuing STEM and health related majors. These 120 students (US citizens or eligible non-citizen/resident alien) will be served in addition to another 120 students (including DACA students) funded by the university for a grand total of 240 participants.
Our goal is to develop the necessary agency in first-generation students to meet their educational, social and career goals.
- We are fierce advocates for social justice, especially for the poor among us
- We are the safety net for our most vulnerable students
- We pursue professional excellence in the work we do with our students and our colleagues
- We embrace integrity in our work with students, our work with the University and our work with our funding agency
- We are respectful of our diverse student population, their needs, and their cultural heritage
- We seek harmony in our work life in order to focus our energy on helping students succeed
- We are resilient, determined, and focused on achieving our mission
- We do more with less through collaboration and pooled strengths
- We are humble, realizing that the success of each student is shared across the campus
- We are joyful in our work
- We are awed by the potential of our students to change the world
Learn more about TRIO programs nationwid.
First in the Pack programs
Review the information below to learn more about our program eligiblity requirements.
TRIO First in the Pack (STEM Grant)
A college support program serving undergraduate students throughout their undergraduate career who meet the eligibility requirements.
TRIO First in the Pack (All Majors)
TRIO First In The Pack (All Majors) is a college support program serving undergraduate students during their freshman and sophomore years, who meet the eligibility requirements.