John Anderson, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. 1976, Columbia University, New York City, New York; Geophysics
- B. S. 1970, Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan; Physics
All aspects of engineering seismology, including applications of geological and seismological information to estimate seismicity and seismic hazards; recording strong ground motions; understanding the physics of near-source ground motions; and applications to engineering problems. Dr. Anderson is an author or coauthor on over 180 publications, mostly related to some field of engineering seismology.
Relevant Past Experience:
- Nevada Seismic Safety Council
- Chairman, November 1992 - November, 1997
- Member, May 1992 - present
- Seismological Society of America
- Board of Directors, January 2004- present (expires December 2009)
- 2005 Annual National Meeting Co-chair (with David VonSeggern)
- Government Affairs Committee, 2004-present
- Associate Editor, Bulletin, Sept 1992 - 1994
- Consortium of Organizations for Strong Motion Operating Systems
- Program Committee -1998-2001
- Board of Directors -2001
- Secretary -2002
- Co-chair with Polat Gulkan of the meeting: Future Directions in Instrumentation for Strong Motion and Engineering Seismology, Workshop under NATO SfP Project 977484, May 17-21, 2004, Kuşadası, Turkey.
- General Chair of Great Break: Preparing for EarthScope in the Great Basin, NSF Workshop, June 20, 2004, Tahoe City, Nevada.