Center for Advanced Studies bylaws
Revised version approved by vote of the Fellows, February 25, 2020
- The aim of The Center for Advanced Study is to recognize, facilitate and promote research and scholarship at the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Becoming a Fellow of the Center:
- Recipients of the University of Nevada, Reno Outstanding Researcher Award or of the University of Nevada, Reno Established Innovator Award will be invited to join the Center as Fellows.
- Fellows may nominate other University of Nevada, Reno faculty to join the Center as Fellow.
- Nominations should be supported by a letter from the nominator, the CV of the nominee, and three external letters that stress the nominee’s contributions to advancing and changing views in the nominee’s field.
- Nominees must have at least 10 years of service at the University and must have a rank of full professor, and should be preferably outside the nominator’s home department.
- Each fall semester the Director of the Center will appoint a committee to select in the spring semester up to two new Fellows from the nominations. Nominations not selected can be reconsidered the following year.
- Fellows are elected for life.
- For physical meetings, a number equal to the majority of Fellows who are active faculty members of the University of Nevada, Reno will constitute a quorum. All decisions shall be by majority vote of those present.
- For mail or on-line voting, Fellows will be given seven (7) days to postmark or email their vote after the expected reception of the ballot and decisions shall be by majority vote of those voting.
- The executive officer of The Center shall be called the Director and be selected from among the Fellows by a majority vote of the Fellows.
- The term of office of the Director shall be two years.
- The Director shall take office beginning July 1.
- The election of the Director shall take place between March 15 and May 15.
C. Visiting Fellows
- Visiting Fellows are appointed by the Director after being nominated by one or more Fellows and approved by majority vote of the Fellows.
- The term of the Visiting Fellow may vary from two months to a year.
D. By-Laws Revision
- The by-laws of The Center may be revised by a mail or online ballot.