It is the policy of the University of Nevada, Reno that all faculty, staff, students, postdoctoral scholars and volunteers engaged in planning and/or conducting research and other sponsored project activities receive training in the subject areas applicable to their roles and responsibilities. Please see below for information on the trainings offered through the Office of Sponsored Projects, the Research Integrity Office, the Office of Lab Animal Medicine, and Environmental Health and Safety.
New Principal Investigator (PI) Training
All new PIs are required to successfully complete the following training:
- Best Practices in Sponsored Projects Management
- Grant Proposal Budget Preparation
- InfoEd Proposal Development
Completion of the above three training classes is required before the Office of Sponsored Projects will set up a new sponsored project account for an awarded grant proposal. Existing PIs are encouraged to register for training that they have not previously completed.
Other Required Training
Depending upon the type of research one is performing and/or the funding source from which project funding is received, further training may be required.
- Export Controls: For researchers working on projects involving export controlled items, technology, software, data and/or services.
- Financial Conflict of Interest: For researchers working on projects funded by the Public Health Service (PHS) agencies (e.g. NIH, CDC, etc.) and some non-profit agencies.
- Responsible Conduct of Research: For all employees and students working on projects funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF).
- Protection of Human Subjects: For all persons involved in the design, implementation, review, and oversight of human research.
- Animal Welfare, Animal Care and Use: For all persons engaged in animal work.
- Safety Training: Customized workplace specific training for all types of personnel.
While not required, the classes listed below are offered as supplementary training.
- InfoEd SPIN and GENIUS Training: Using the InfoEd grants management software, a tutorial on how to populate one's GENIUS profile and how to locate funding opportunities via SPIN.
- Modular Budget Preparation: A tutorial on preparing modular budgets for grant proposals to sponsor, the National Institutes of Health.