Biosciences Entrepreneurial Lab
The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Lab is a wet lab incubator space at the University of Nevada, Reno. Its creation was inspired by the cost prohibitive nature of startups in the biosciences and to accelerate the growth and success of bioscience entrepreneurship in Northern Nevada. The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory facilitates innovation by bringing together innovators and entrepreneurs and providing services and resources by leveraging existing campus expertise and support.
Northern Nevada continues to experience rapid growth in the tech industry, including the emergence of local biotechnology entrepreneurship. The University plays a pivotal role in this growth by training highly-skilled laboratory personnel, collaborating with regional companies, and encouraging innovative technological advancements through fundamental research. The University also hosts several molecular biosciences core facilities, including the following:
- Mick Hitchcock, Ph.D. Nevada Proteomics Center
- Nevada Genomics Center
- Nevada Center for Bioinformatics
- Single Cell Molecular Expression Core
- Nevada Cytometry Center
- Microscopy and Cell Metabolism Core
Space and Equipment
The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Lab occupies approximately 2,100 sq. ft. of newly renovated laboratory space in the Applied Research Facility. The lab is a fully furnished, turnkey wetlab space housing necessary equipment and infrastructure for multiple operations with minimal sharing. Chemical and biological waste services are included. Shared equipment currently includes the use of chemical fume hoods (certified), a clean bench (certified), a biosafety cabinet (certified), baking/drying oven, various microbiological incubators, autoclave, freezers, coolers, ice machine, DI water, ultrapure water, chemical storage, and bench-top equipment.
The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory is managed exclusively by the Nevada Center for Applied Research. Tenants will be required to make arrangements with the Nevada Center for Applied Research prior to obtaining access to the space for training and safety purposes. Training on specialized equipment will be spearheaded by University personnel, with the objective that tenants will assist co-workers with general training and guidance. This will promote a collaborative, supportive atmosphere that nurtures idea sharing within the Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory and the University as a whole.
Bioscience Entrepreneurial Laboratory Equipment List
- Yamato SM300 portable autoclave
- Keyence VHX-900F digital microscope
- Revco -86C ultralow chest freezer
- Reach in cooler (4C)
- Frigidaire manual defrost -20C freezer
- Eppendorf refrigerated 5418R microcentrifuge
- Beckman J2-21 centrifuge
- Vortex mixers (3)
- Rainin pipet set (P20, P200, P1000) (3)
- Labnet Biopette Plus (0.1-2μl) (2)
- Eppendorf 5804R refrigerated centrifuge (fixed angle and swinging bucket rotors)
- Water bath (20L)
- Isotemp gravity convection incubator (100L)
- Isotemp heating/drying oven (100L)
- NanoDrop One spectrophotometer (with cuvette option)
- Bio-Rad ChemiDoc XRS+ imaging system
- ThermoBarnstead E-Pure 4module ultrapure water system
- Agilent 1100 HPLC system
- Spectrum Labs Spectra/Chrom CF-1 fraction collector
- Ohaus AX223 Adventurer analytical precision balance
- Mettler Toledo FiveEasy Plus FEP20 pH meter
- Fisherbrand dual frequency ultrasonic water bath
- Stirring hotplate (2)
- Corning LSE benchtop shaking incubator
- Thermo Scientific Heraguard ECO clean bench (4ft) (Certified)
- Thermo Scientific 1345 Series A2 Class II Bio Safety Cabinet (Certified)
- Buchi R300E rotovap with vacuum pump
- Thermo Scientific Thermolyne benchtop muffle furnace
- Bio-Rad T100 Thermal Cycler
- MJ Research PTC-200 gradient thermal cycler
- Bio-Rad Mini Trans-Blot cell
- Bio-Rad Mini-PROTEAN Tetra Cell (4 gel)
- Bio-Rad PowerPac HC power supply
- Bio-Rad Mini-Sub cell GT horizontal electrophoresis system
- GeneMate H06000V hybridization oven
Tenants can lease as much or as little space as needed and have access to all shared equipment in the center. Occupancy terms are extremely flexible and do not involve a long-term lease commitment.
The benefits of a well-equipped (and staffed) bioscience incubator on local economies are well established. Northern Nevada now has the opportunity to develop biotechnology as a significant contributor to its increasingly diversified economy. The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory provides critical bioscience infrastructure in the region, significantly reducing prohibitive costs for biotechnology startups. The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory leverages existing core facility expertise by providing additional equipment, services, and collaborative opportunities for companies to develop and prosper.
The Biosciences Entrepreneurial Laboratory serves as a gateway for tenants and contracting companies to access broader expertise in the campus community, ranging from grant/funding proposal preparation to technology transfer.
Student interns will have opportunities to interact with businesses, significantly improving education and training in fields ranging from biotechnology to bioinformatics, business administration, and marketing while also providing a competitive advantage for recent graduates entering the job market.