Emily HandAssistant Professor
- Department: Computer Science & Engineering
- Phone: (775) 682-8256
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building: WPEB
- Room: 415
- Mailstop: 0171
- Website: View Dr. Hand's CV
- Website: Visit the Dr. Hand's Machine Perception Lab website
Emily Hand is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nevada, Reno. Dr. Hand received her Ph.D. in computer science from the University of Maryland, College Park under the supervision of Professor Rama Chellappa. She has held research positions at NASA Ames, NASA JPL and the Naval Research Laboratory.
- Ph.D., Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, 2018
- M.S., Computer Science, University of Maryland, College Park, 2015
- B.S., Applied Mathematics, University of Nevada, Reno, 2013
- B.S., Computer Science and Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, 2013
Dr. Hand's primary research interest lies in the intersection of computer vision and machine learning, with an emphasis on understanding human perception. She has performed on several IARPA projects related to face recognition and action recognition from images and video. Her research focuses on bridging the gap between human and computer vision using research in human perception and machine learning. Dr. Hand is the director of the Machine Perception Lab at UNR.
- Emily M. Hand, Carlos Castillo, Rama Chellappa, "Predicting Facial Attributes in Video using Temporal Coherence and Motion-Attention," Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, 2018.
- Emily M. Hand, Carlos Castillo, Rama Chellappa. "Doing the Best We Can with What We Have: Multi-Label Balancing with Selective Learning for Attribute Prediction," in AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2018.
- Emily M. Hand and Rama Chellappa. "Attributes for Improved Attributes: A Multi-Task Network Utilizing Implicit and Explicit Relationships for Facial Attribute Classification," in AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, 2017.
- Maya Kabkab, Emily M. Hand, Rama Chellappa, "On the Size of Convolutional Neural Networks and Generalization Performance," in International Conference on Pattern Recognition, 2016.
- Leslie N. Smith, Emily M. Hand, Timothy Doster, "Gradual DropIn of Layers to Train Very Deep Neural Networks," in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2016.
- Intro to Machine Learning
- Intro to Artificial Intelligence
- Computational Linguistics