Domestic Travel Rates

An Employee's Travel Request form must be approved by the appropriate vice president, dean, or director. Departments are responsible for verifying and maintaining availability of funds for approved travel expenses. Upon approval, the Employee's Travel Request form should be sent to the Controller's Office prior to the trip date.

Persons on out-of-state travel status shall receive meals at the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) per diem rate listed for that locality regardless of actual cost and only when the meals are not covered by event fees. Receipts are not required for meals.

Employees shall receive reimbursement for personal lodging expense based on the federal GSA lodging per diem rate for that locality. A receipt will be required for all out-of-state lodging reimbursement. All GSA lodging amounts exclude taxes.

When registration fees provide for a meal, employees should not request additional reimbursement for the meal. When a meal is provided at an event and is listed as an optional item on the registration form at a cost exceeding the state reimbursement rate, the excess amount will not be allowed as part of the registration fee. The employee is personally responsible to pay the excess amount.

An employee in travel status may claim per diem meal reimbursements for the following timeframe's:

  • Breakfast: 12:01 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
  • Lunch: 10:01 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
  • Dinner: 3:01 p.m. - 12:00 a.m.
  • When employees receive free meals or lodging, no reimbursement is allowed.

Breakfast per diem will not be reimbursed for travelers who depart their home city after 9:00 a.m. Dinner per diem will not be reimbursed for travelers who return to their home city before 5:00 p.m.