Independent Contractor

Contact Information

Sunny Remneff: (775) 784-1404

Ross Hall, Room 101
Mail Stop 124
Reno, NV 89557-0225
Fax: (775) 327-2210


Who is an Independent Contractor?

Generally, an independent contractor is an individual performing services to another entity on a contract. The hiring entity has the right to control or direct only the result of the work done by the independent contractor and not the means and/or methods of accomplishing the result. Individuals performing services for the University will be considered employees unless a determination is made that such individuals can be appropriately classified as independent contractors.

A person is not an independent contractor simply because there is an agreement as such or because the hiring department permits him/her considerable discretion and freedom of action. Agreements or contracts with individuals or sole-proprietors "doing business as" (dba) are subject to independent contractor determination guidelines, while agreements or contracts with partnerships, corporations, or other organizations will be subject to purchase order guidelines and requirements. Visit BCN Purchasing's website for additional information on purchase orders.

How to Process Independent Contractor Payments

Currently, there are two methodologies for processing independent contractor payments within the university. See our IC form determination flow chart (PDF).

NSHE Insurance Requirements

An independent contractor must carry insurance policies, unless expressly waived in writing by NSHE. Visit Risk Management/Workers' Compensation or call (775) 784-4394 for additional information.

Additional Information