- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1979
- M.S., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 1977
- M.S., Tehran University, Iran, 1973
- Earthquake engineering of bridges and buildings
- Large-scale concrete bridge component and system testing
- Field testing of highway bridges
- Analysis and design of reinforced concrete structures
- Application of composites, shape memory alloy, and other advanced materials in earthquake engineering
Relevant past experience
- Founding and past chair of ACI Committee on Earthquake Resistant Concrete Bridges
- Fellow of American Society of Civil Engineers
- Fellow of American Concrete Institute
- Member, ACI 318-Subcommittee D.
- Recipient of multimillion dollar research grants from National Science Foundation, Federal Highway Administration, California Department of Transportation, Nevada Department of Transportation, National Cooperative Highway Research Programs, and industry. Projects have been on earthquake engineering of structures, including large- scale model studies, retrofit method and repair development, design method development, and advanced material adaptation in structural engineering.
- Published more than 400 articles and reports and presented research in 26 countries, many as a keynote speaker
Other activities within engineering and teaching professions
- Member, ACI, ASCE, EERI, Phi Kappa Phi, NEES Consortium, CUREE
- Registered Professional Engineer in the State of Nevada and California
- Reviewer of the National Science Foundation Research Proposals
- Reviewer of ASCE, ACI, EERI, PCI, Journal of Engineering Structures, Journal of Structural
- Engineering and Mechanics, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, and TRB Manuscripts
- Member of Review Panels for NCHRP and NSF Proposals Who's Who in Frontiers of Science and Technology, 2nd Edition
- Distinguished Leadership Award for Outstanding Contributions to Civil Engineering, 2nd Edition
- University of Nevada, Reno-Foundation Professorship Award, 1997
- University of Nevada, Reno Outstanding Researcher of the Year Award, 2000
- Outstanding Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Award, University of Illinois at Urbana- Champaign, 2003
- Regents Researcher Award, University and Community College System of Nevada, 2003
- Lemelson Award for Innovative Research, College of Engineering, University of Nevada, Reno, 2004
- Advisor of the Year Award, Associated Students at the University of Nevada, Reno, 2004
- Distinguished Alumni Award, College of Engineering, Tehran University, 2004.
- CEE 372 Strength of Materials
- CEE 480 Reinforced Concrete Design I
- CEE 487 Reinforced Concrete Design II
- CEE 723 Advanced Reinforced Concrete
- CEE 727 Advanced Structural Analysis
- Johnson, N., T. Ranf, M. Saiidi, D. Sanders, and M. Eberhard, "Seismic Testing of A Two-Span Reinforced Concrete Bridge," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, March-April 2008, pp. 173-182.
- Correal, J., M. Saiidi, D. Sanders, S. El-Azazy, "Shake Table Studies of Bridge Columns with Double Interlocking Spirals," American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 104, No. 4, July-August 2007, pp. 393-401.
- Phan, V., M. Saiidi, J. Anderson, and H. Ghasemi, "Near Fault Ground Motion Effect on Reinforced Concrete Bridge Columns," Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 133, No. 7, July 2007, pp. 982-989.
- Saiidi, M., M. Zadeh, C. Ayoub, and A. Itani, "A Pilot Study of Behavior of Concrete Beams Reinforced with Shape Memory Alloys," Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 19, No. 6, June 2007, pp. 454-461.
- Correal, J., M. Saiidi, D. Sanders, S. El-Azazy, "Analytical Evaluation of Bridge Columns with Double Interlocking Spirals," American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 104, No. 3, May-June 2007, pp. 314-323.
- Saiidi, M., R. Johnson, and E. Maragakis, "Development, Shake Table Testing, and Design of FRP Seismic Restrainers," Journal of Bridge Engineering, ASCE, July/August 2006, pp.499-506.
- Saiidi, M., and H. Wang, "An Exploratory Study of Seismic Response of Concrete Columns with Shape Memory Alloys Reinforcement," American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 103, No. 3, May-June 2006, pp. 436-443.
- Johnson, N., M. Saiidi, A. Itani, and S. Ladkany, "Seismic Retrofit of Octagonal Columns with Pedestal and One-Way Hinge at the Base," American Concrete Institute, ACI Structural Journal, Vol. 102, No. 5, September-October 2005, pp. 699-708.
- Choi, H., S. Fadali, M. Saiidi, and L. Kwon, "Neural Network Active Control of Structures with Earthquake Excitation," International Journal of Control, Automation, and Systems, Vol. 3, No. 2, June 2005, pp. 202-210.
- Saiidi, M., K. Sureshkumar, and C. Pulido, "A Simple Model for CFRP Confined Concrete," Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, Vol. 9, No. 1, January-February 2005, pp. 101-104.