Allowable and non-allowable costs
If you have any questions or concerns about what is an allowable and non-allowable cost, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Undergraduate Research consider that a cost is reasonable if the item purchased and the cost of the item reflects the action that a prudent person would take under similar circumstances at the time the individual makes the purchase. The cost must be necessary to the the sponsored project’s performance. The purchase must comply with established University policies.
Allowable costs can include but is not limited to the following items:
- Equipment: These may include equipment rentals not offered by the University
- Operating: These may include office supplies, lab supplies,books, database access, software, and subscription services
- Travel for research purposes: These may include only expenses incurred when traveling to collect data/information
- Participant support: These may include tangible gift items (no cash)
- Giftcards can be purchased with approval*
- Salary: Salary is $12/hour. Salary must not exceed $1,800. (This amount will not exceed a maximum of 150 hours.)
- Please contact Undergraduate Research for questions regarding gift cards and approval process
Non-allowable costs are those costs that the federal regulations, sponsor limits, or institutional policy that prohibit the University charging to a grant account. Non-allowable costs also include items expressly forbidden by regulations, such as purchasing alcohol and lobbying with federal funds.
Non-allowable cost include the following:
- Equipment readily available to University students (such as items available at the @One)
- Hosting (costs related to putting on an event) – please contact Undergraduate Research for purchases related to hosting or gift cards
Travel for non-research purposes (travel to present research is covered under the Travel Award)