Opportunities for research, scholarship & creative activity
- Community-Based Research for Undergraduates
- Apply in the fall and receive the award the following spring – application due Monday, October 28, 2019
- Apply in the spring and receive the award the following fall – application due Monday, March 2, 2020
- Honors Undergraduate Research Award
- Application due Monday, October 14, 2019
- International Research Experience for Undergraduates
- Application due Monday, February 10, 2020
- Nevada Undergraduate Research Award
- Apply in the fall and receive the award the following spring – application due Monday, November 11, 2019
- Apply in the spring and receive the award the following academic year – application due Monday, March 23, 2020
- Pack Research Experience Award
- Application due Monday October 21, 2019
- Travel Award
- Travel July 1-September 15: June 1 application deadline
- Travel September 16-November 15: August 1 application deadline
- Travel November 16-January 15: October 1 application deadline
- Travel January 16-March 15: December 1 application deadline
- Travel March 16-May 15: February 1 application deadline
- Travel May 16-June 30 : April 1 application deadline
- Community-Based Research for Undergraduates
More opportunities at the University of Nevada, Reno
- McNair Scholars Program—University of Nevada, Reno
Research and academic opportunities to encourage underrepresented groups to pursue doctoral degrees.
- Nevada IDeA Network of Biomedical Research Excellence (INBRE) Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program
Undergrads will get a hands-on lab experience in biomedical science through a National Institutes of Health (NIH) award.
- Nevada State Undergraduate Research Journal
Students across the state of Nevada have the opportunity to publish their work in this selective, peer-reviewed research journal. NSURJ is operated through the Associated Students of the University of Nevada.
- Nexus in Nevada: Innovative research to achieve water efficient and environmentally friendly solar power
Academic Year 2019-2020 Scholarship Opportunities Available. Apply by Friday, October 4, 2019 for $4,000 scholarships to work on research projects from December 1, 2019 through May 31, 2020. Students working in areas of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM), except for medical sciences, are eligible. Fields related to solar energy, water and/or environmental research are of special interest.
Other opportunities from entities outside the University
- BuG ReMeDEE initiative – Summer Undergraduate Research Experience
This NSF sponsored program offers a $5,000 stipend and free housing to spend the summer studying microbes in the extreme environments of a 4,850-ft deep mine and Yellowstone National Park and present at a state-wide conference. Learn more about BuG ReMeDEE.
- Center for Computation & Technology – Research Experience for Undergraduates
The Center for Computation & Technology (CCT) hosts a ten week Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program where students work collaboratively on a wide variety of computational science projects. Learn more about the computation and technology REU.
- Gerald A. Soffen Memorial Fund Travel Grant Opportunity
The Gerald A. Stoffen Memorial Fund is a travel grant application opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students pursuing studies in the fields of space science and engineering.
- NASA DEVELOP
DEVELOP addresses environmental and public policy issues through interdisciplinary research projects that apply the lens of NASA Earth observations to community concerns around the globe.
- NASA Internships and Fellowships
Visit NASA to find their opportunities for students and explore stories from their past interns and fellows.
- NASA Lucy Mission to Jupiter’s Trojan Asteroids
Undergraduate science and engineering students can apply for this team-based, 12-week program to gain experience with NASA mission protocols, procedures and practices.
- NASA Summer Student Internship at Johnson Space Center
Students who are accepted for this NASA internship can qualify for funding through the Nevada Space Grant Consortium.
- Nevada Student Airborne Research Program (SARP)
Highly motivated, advanced undergraduate students will work in multi-disciplinary teams to study surface, atmospheric, and oceanographic processes.
- Nevada INBRE
Nevada INBRE offers an exciting opportunity for undergraduates to have a hands-on laboratory experience in an emerging field of biomedical science such as genomics, proteomics, biological imaging, bioinformatics, or any field of research supported by the National Institutes of Health (NIH).
- Nevada Space Grant Consortium
Check for scholarships, courses and travel grants for research and training relevant to NASA and Nevada’s workforce needs.
- NSF Summer 2019 Fellowships for Interdisciplinary Water Science and Engineering Projects
Ten different Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REUs) available through Virginia Tech.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Competition: Nuclear Power: A Safe Future
Students will identify a potential future threat to nuclear power plant safety and propose a plan to mitigate it. Prizes are $5000, $3000 and $1000 scholarships.
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory Spring and Summer Internships
Nuclear Engineering Science Laboratory Synthesis Program offers students on-the-job educational and research opportunities in areas of interest such as: nuclear security technologies; nuclear systems analysis, design and safety; fuels, isotopes, and nuclear materials.
- Office of Intramural Training & Education Undergraduate Scholarship Program
National Institutes of Health scholarships for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are pursuing careers in biomedical, behavioral and social science health-related research.
- The Wake Forest Institute for Regenerative Medicine
Multidisciplinary Research Opportunities in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine (MultiTERM).
- Web Guide to Research for Undergraduates
An interactive web-based tool intended to assist undergraduates navigate the hurdles of an undergraduate research experience.